Beersplosion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkroger

Reaction score
Started a Weizen last night in a 6 Gallon Carboy only 5 gallons of material
Affixed Airlock and this morning it had pushed through that and as I sat here working from home POP! the stopper shot out and a Weizen Volcano erupted
I waded in and attached a makeshift Blowoff into a handy bucket of Sanitizer
I guess had I been smarter I would have started it in the Big Bucket!
Oh well smells good in here! Sweet and Wheaty!

Hehe, sorry to laugh but the way you described that was funny. Really though did it make too much of a mess? And more importantly, how much of the beer did you lose? Can somebody explain why it is that the pressure can get so great that the stopper would shoot off? Shouldn't the CO2 escape the airlock, and alleviate the pressure?

Spilled a bit but the Liquid level in the jug is still high enough the Krausen is what popped the top I guess a little bit of Wheat or yeast or some such plugged the airlock and then it knocked the top off there is a little bit of wheat stuff and yeast on the outside now... I meant it to be funny so laugh away! I have to get some larger hose for the Blowoff but right now I used some half inch and it is still bubbling like mad in the bottom of the bucket....

I did my first all grain yesterday, didn't boil down to 5 gallons (OG was OK). My airlock filled up (thank goodness I used vodka and water vs. chlorinated water like I usually do) and yeast overflowed. I pulled it out and waited until it stopped foaming out of the airlock hole.

I'm hoping sanitation won't be a problem. I took off the cover, rinsed it off and reinserted the airlock. The yeast is obviously pretty active so I'd guess I'm OK. Used a starter and Wyeast 3068.

The real question: Did you have to mop the ceiling? That makes you a real homebrewer.

So long as the foam is coming out, nothing bad can get in.

never had any problems yet. Even my most vigorous fermentation only put up about 3" of Krausen, i.e. never even reached higher than half of the available headspace in my fermenter bucket...

Back