WLP001 won't clear!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This damn yeast won’t clear from my beer. I brewed it 6+weeks ago I fermented it out completely and even gave it a good 2 weeks in secondary. I then crash cooled to 36deg and it has been sitting there. The stuff just wont drop out WTF I really want to serve this beer on OCT 30th should I drop the temp to 33 or what?
Any suggestions?
JJ

Different water chemistry? Old malt?

other things to concider since that is a highly flocculant yeast

Different water chemistry? Old malt?

other things to concider since that is a highly flocculant yeast

same water, same malt I always use. Not old or anything. I guess I could put it back in a carboy and add gelatin. But it is carbed, Hmmmm, what to do, what to do?
JJ

Drink it cloudy?

+1...Serve it in opaque mugs.
My pint glasses have already been ordered and are on the way!! All 288 of them!:mug:
I just can't serve it cloudy. This beer is going to be served to tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars of investment capital at a "Meet the entrepreneurs" event; I have pitched my company to a panel of judges now its time for a taste test of my products, and for what ever reason this batch just won’t clear. There MUST be another way.... I need some help. Can I de-gas it and filter to .5 micron then add gelatin???? Come on guys, help a brother out
Any other suggestions??
JJ

????? What can I do if this happens to be chill haze? Its sitting @ 36 deg I may try to warm this up to 40 and see what goes on. It seems to clear a bit as it sits in the glass.
I tastes killer just the presentation won’t fly like this.
JJ

Was it an IPA by chance with lots of hops?

No. This is my California Beach Blonde Ale. I brew this beer all the time (this is my 8th or 9th batch) I have never had a haze or yeast problem in this beer.
Hmmm Time will tell. I have until the 30th for it to be ready. I know I know RDWHAHB!!!! I would but its 9:30am. ya ya ya I know. Whats wrong w/ that...LOL
NOTHING :D :D :D
Cheers
JJ

Are you using harvested yeast? If you brewed this beer many times without haze and now you've got haze it could be you got a dusty yeast strain. I've read that harvesting from the secondary artificially selects the least flocculent yeast which is why it's better to harvest from the middle of the primary cake, selecting the most flocculent yeast.

Just a thought.

Drop that sucker to 32 and freeze 'em out. As long as you have ~4abv it should be fine at 30 or 31 so hit it with 32 and a 2º bandwidth. That and the month should help considerably. Good luck. I think degassing or and crazy method like that would not be worth the risk/reward.

Drop that sucker to 32 and freeze 'em out. As long as you have ~4abv it should be fine at 30 or 31 so hit it with 32 and a 2º bandwidth. That and the month should help considerably. Good luck. I think degassing or and crazy method like that would not be worth the risk/reward.

Yeah, I like this approach. I think that trying to filter now might oxidize it. Unless, you have a way to jump from one keg to another? Could you filter in between? I'm not familiar enough with filtering equipment to know how it works, but if you could do that, your risk of oxidation would be negligible.

What about other finings besides gelatin, if you're concerned about clogging the dip tube?

What can I do if this happens to be chill haze? Its sitting @ 36 deg I may try to warm this up to 40 and see what goes on. It seems to clear a bit as it sits in the glass.
I tastes killer just the presentation won’t fly like this.
JJ

Pour a pint and see if it clears as it warms. If it is just chill haze it will be completely clear at room temp.

You can see at what temp it clears and then serve it at the temp or let it sit cold (32F) and hope it clears.

You could also try polyclar, but you will probably have to de-gas the beer first since the polyclar will act as nucleation sites for the CO2. But, it should strip the yeast and all haze forming compounds. You would have to rack after using this since it is tiny pieces of plastic.

Yoop
The reason you can’t filter carbonated beer is if foams up really bad, even when you go from one keg to another under gas.(which by the way is how you do it)

Beerrific
I have never heard of polyclar. How long does that take to work? Where do you find it? I may be out of luck if I have to order it and wait for shipping, but for my next batches it may be a good thing to have on hand.

I did pull a pint and it does clear as it warms up. Question is can I serve this beer at that temp and still enjoy its delicate balance? the good thing is I am only pouring like 2-3 oz samples in our pint glasses so it dosen't stand out as a really cloudy beer.

I think I just need to relax. I am all worked up because of the whole BIG investor element. I serve this beer all the time and it’s a huge hit amongst real beer enthusiasts, so I may just have to let it be. I am going to drop the temp to 33 deg for the next week or so and see what that does. if nothing else I can warm this beer a day or 2 before the event and serve like that.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers
JJ
p.s Yes I am giong to drink the pint glass that I pulled this morning as a test.:D LOL

Well I'm fairly new to this but as I understand it you can jump from one keg to another by connecting the "outs" so that when it is transfered it goes from the bottom of one keg ot the bottom of the other, thus reducing agitation. At the same time you will have an in-line .5 micron filter like the type you would put under your sink. This would obviously be placed somewhere on the line between the two kegs. Maybe even use a ball valve on the same line to more gently pass the beer to the destination keg. If you have all that time though, I would try to temp drop near freezing like the other guy said and use the method described above as a backup.

I just experienced this same problem with WLP 001. Problem is...this is probably the best beer i've made, except its cloudy as hell. Its a pale ale with tons of late hopping. 5 gal batch with 7 ounces of citra in the boil. .5oz FWH, and 20,10,5,0 additions. 2oz dry hopped. Anyway...i'm wondering if its all the hop matter that is keeping this cloudy or is t a yeast issue. I've never had this problem with WLP 001....this looks like a hefe. Has anyone else had bad batches of WLP? Tastes great though so I may have just done a APAHefe.

With that many hops, this is likely just an issue of hop matter. If you don't have commercial filtration, a beer with this many hope is just going to be hazy.

I bottled a few from the keg and that has now cleared up and the yeast is at the bottom. My question is what can I do to my keg for this to happen or is it just time?

Back