Brewing today: here's a tip I just learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Make sure the valve is closed on any tun before pouring any liquid into it. (duh!) :mad:

Oh well--the damage could have been worse: I just spilled a gallon or so of sparge water on the patio and had to reheat it.

I'm brewing a wit: I'm on the second of 2 batch-sparge batches. So far so good (except for that little mishap--and I hadn't even started drinking beer yet at that point!)

Could have been much worst.... try in the kitchen and instead of water its beer... and your SWMBO is the one who informs you of what is going on... oy.....

I learned a lesson on my last batch. Make sure the wheels of the trash barrel are facing away from the mash tun before dumping 120lbs of spent grain.... After the barrel flips over you will have to shovel grains off the patio......

Monster Mash said:
I learned a lesson on my last batch. Make sure the wheels of the trash barrel are facing away from the mash tun before dumping 120lbs of spent grain.... After the barrel flips over you will have to shovel grains off the patio......

Oy.... the AG I did last month.... I dumped the grain in the sink for the garbage disposal to eat. Well everything was fine till the garbage disposal stoped working. For 15 min I thought I broke the thing... I mean I was checking everything.... fuse panel.... dug up most of the grain... everything... then I thought .... maybe there is a breaker on the disposal itself... sure enough there was. After that I GENTLY added the grain to be eated and it worked just fine, but next time I think I'll use trash bags....

If you check the other forums you will find that putting grains down the garbage disposal does not work. One guy had to get a plumber to unclog his drain.

The problem is that the grains go past the disposal just fine but get stuck in the trap and back everything up...

Its been a month so.... hopefully this is a situation that wont happen. Needless to say I wont do it again.....

Never did that with beer but I did the same thing with my girl friends car when I was changing the oil:drunk: , forgot to put the plug back in the oil pan, figured it out after pouring in 6 qts.

cweston said:
Make sure the valve is closed on any tun before pouring any liquid into it. (duh!) :mad:

Oh well--the damage could have been worse: I just spilled a gallon or so of sparge water on the patio and had to reheat it.

I'm brewing a wit: I'm on the second of 2 batch-sparge batches. So far so good (except for that little mishap--and I hadn't even started drinking beer yet at that point!)
Maybe in honor of your snafu you could name the beer Nit Wit. :D

I've done worse so I had to jab you a bit. I once dumped about a half gallon of mash/water out onto the kitchen floor when I accidently stepped on the drain hose to the Mash tun and pulled the stopper out. :cross:

Back