First try at recipe creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
So I thought I would take a stab at creating a recipe using the BJCP Style Guidelines and Beersmith. I am propagating some Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast from a bottle of my Dry Irish Stout. I am going to be brewing an Irish Red Ale. Here is what I've come up with:

9.5lb Pale Malt 2-row
1.5lb Victory Malt
.25lb Roasted Barley
.25oz East Kent Goldings 60min
1.0oz East Kent Goldings 30min
.25tsp Irish Moss 10min
Wyeast 1084

Beersmith is estimating OG 1.060 and FG 1.015. Let me know what you think.

Looks pretty good, but deviates a bit from a "traditional" Irish Red Ale... you might want to throw in some Crystal to add that slight touch of caramel and sweetness an Irish Ale needs. Also might want to consider switching your 2-row to a British pale malt, ie Marris Otter.

I am actually brewing an Irish Red ale tomorrow, and I am using Jamil Z.'s recipe, which he says make as true Irish Ale, though a bit strong (though he says it is not what a lot of BJCP judges consider an Irish Ale, mostly because they misinterpret the guideline's "slight caramel" as meaning an abundant caramel flavor)

For 6 gallons in your kettle:
11.25 pound Maris Otter
6 oz. Crystal 120
6 oz. Crystal 40
6 oz. Roasted Barley (300 L)
1.25 oz. East Kent Golding (5%) at 60
Irish Ale Yeast

Mash at 153
Dont remember his OG/FG, but I think about 5% ABV

(He said to make a brew that is a little closer to say Smithwicks you should reduce to specialty grains to 5 oz. each instead of 6 oz.)

The second addition of hops will be adding more bitterness and more hop flavor and aroma than is typical of the style, and the Victory will add more toasty-ness than is considered traditional, but I think both would be decent additions. Adding in a blend of Crystal malts (in small quantities) and maybe switching to British Pale Malt would be what tie it in closer to the style, I think.

Let us know how it turns out!

Most of the Irish Red Ale recipes I see and read include some crystal malt. I used a combination of 60L and 120L in my recent batch.

I love Victory but I think 1.5 lbs. might be a bit to much. It has a nutty taste which is great but for me I would cut it back or not even use it in an . I assume the roasted barley is for color and i only used 2 ounces in mine.

Back