What to do for a winter beer if you're not into Porters/Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
Time to brew a seasonal Winter beer! I know everyone always says make a porter or stout, but I'm not a big fan of the genre.

Anyone got any suggestions?

How about an old/strong ale. You could give it enough alcohol to keep you warm and throw in holiday spices if that's your thing.

I like a thick and creamy pumpkin spiced ale or an oktoberfest style ale. Also, I consider hefe's to be summer beers but I think witbier recipes can be adjusted to make it a nice winter beer. (bump up the gravity and spice levels)

a lot of winter ales are more like spiced brown ales than stouts. you may wish to go that route.

i recently made a "black wit" that was very tasty. just made a simple belgian wit recipe and added some carafa II. good stuff.

Coastamarine that pumpkin spiced cream sounds tasty. got a recipe?

Nope, not something I've made, but something I drank. I was at a brewpub last fall that had a fantastic pumpkin ale on nitro. I remember liking the fact that it tasted more like the spices that went into pumpkin pie and reminded me of pumpkin more than it tasted like pumpkin. I'm gonna have to get a nitro tap someday. I having beers other than just stouts on nitro.

Back