Earrings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be able to put my thumbs through the holes in my earlobes, but it's been quite a while since I wore jewlery. I had studs in both cheeks, a horribly septum piercing through the cartilage, and some other stuff below the neck.

This is what I've been wearing lately. 4g single flare tunnel. Same thing in the other ear.

image-845352021.jpg

There needs to be a female opinion here...

I like men with piercings, as long as they aren't "pretty". A big ol' diamond? Nahhhhh, I'm not into that. I like gauges, plugs and flares best, but a neat-looking stud will work, too, on a manly man. Nothing wrong with a tasteful eyebrow ring, either.

I guess it should also be said that I don't have the "usual" tastes in men, though, so YMMV re: my opinions on males and their appearance. :D

As a female, I find that men with earrings appear confident and sexy.

Zuljin said:
There's some bit on the radio about wanting to go up to guys with those and click padlocks through them. :p

It would be a small padlock for mine. Something I could easily cut if I couldn't pick it. That would be an odd position to pick from.

Mine are 4 gauge which is 5mm or almost .2", but that is on the outside. The hole through the middle of the "ring" is somewhat smaller.

I've got my septum pierced and 00 obsidian plugs in my ears. I have my right conch done as well. I'm not big into piercings though. Tattoos are more my thing.

I've had both my ears pierced since I was a freshman in high school, so 1990? Currently just a pair of hoops in there and while I've thought about gauges off and on I'm leery of something that would leave big gaping holes in my ear if I ever decided I didn't want them anymore.

I used to take them out for interviews, but I've never had a problem with them at any job.

Single silver hoop.

Got my ear pierced my 1st semester of freshman year of college - 1st act of rebellion I guess. I used to have a few different earrings that i would swap out, but I've had the same one in now for 12 years - I've never taken it out for any event (job interviews, weddings, funerals...doesn't matter). Going on something like 4,400 consecutive days with this particular earring and close to 8,000 consecutive days with something stuck through my ear. I don't even think about it now.

I've had both my ears pierced since I was a freshman in high school, so 1990? Currently just a pair of hoops in there and while I've thought about gauges off and on I'm leery of something that would leave big gaping holes in my ear if I ever decided I didn't want them anymore.

I used to take them out for interviews, but I've never had a problem with them at any job.

I won't go larger than 00 because I want my ears to be able to close up for whatever reason. I've talked to a lot of people who have told me their ears have closed up from a 00.

Jukas said:

I've heard up to a 6 gauge will close completely. It's different for everybody though. The trick is to go up slowly, one size at a time, letting it heal completely between stretches.

41 years old, worn the same small silver hoop since hs. Took it out 2x, for job interview and wedding.

56 ... no piercings, 6 years in a sea going service - no tattoos
I wear a simple silver wedding band and have for 25 years. I own no other jewelry except a tie-tack (a German Shepard Dog) and a pair of gold cufflinks (from my uniform) Still have a military haircut and have been out for 30 years.
No I am not a conservative!

I had some small gauge hoops/plugs from freshman year of college up until about 5 years ago. The damn things would still get irritated once in a while and crusty, even though it had been a long time since I last stretched them. Didn't seem to matter if I had stainless steel or acrylic in them. Since it seemed like they would never be 100% healed, I said "F it" and took them out.
Would still have them if it wasn't for that.
Just like I would still have long hair if it wasn't for the receding hairline. :mug:

Looks like I found where the freaks are hanging out. :ban: I'll throw in my two bits:

I got my ears pierced twice in the left and once in the right as well as my septum a few years before I got married. Been married almost 10 years now. Pierced my septum myself with the biggest sewing needle I could find. I would highly recommend paying a professional to do it - I pierced it straight, but it was definitely a bit much "discomfort" to inflict upon myself AND I found out after the fact that there's a great danger of paralyzing your face if you do it wrong.

I currently have 0 gauge tunnels in my ears (one in each side) and a 2 gauge tunnel in my septum. Since stretching to 2g, I don't usually wear a ring in my nose because 2 gauge septum rings tend to make old ladies glare disapprovingly and mothers with small children cross to the other side of the street. My hair is about half a foot past my shoulders and I have a fiery red beard about 5 inches at the longest part. I haven't really gotten any flack from homophobic dudes, probably in part because I'm a trim 240 lbs and look like a Viking berserker. About 6 years ago I was doing social work and dealing with the public a lot, and our assistant director told me to take my nose ring out (10 gauge at the time), but the executive director told me to leave it in. That was about the only "trouble" I've ever had with it.

As for the age at which I think earrings are appropriate for males, I don't think I would let my four year old son get his pierced. I think he should at least have a firm understanding of the social stigma he'd be facing before he did, and I think one would need to be at least mid-teens to make a really educated decision. I've seen parents pierce their boys' ears when their age was still in the single digits, and that's their choice - I just think that given established social norms the kid is more likely to face gender identity issues before he's psychologically developed enough to face them.

This concludes my two bits.

I took my daughter to have her ears pierced when she was 2 or 3 years old. I know, different for a girl, but she didn't know that. She wanted her ears pierced, wanted to wear earrings, kept crying and begging about it. Fine.

So the ladies are standing on either side of her, a quick punch, there now you have holes in your ears!!! She looked in the mirror, her whole face went red and she looked mad!!!! Out of her mouth, "I said I wanted pink!!" She was so upset they gave her little silver studs instead of the pink earrings she wanted. She's 18 and in college now, still loves her earrings.

I've always kept my rings in for job interviews, worst ive gotten was take them out for work. ( yes, they hired me). But they are simple silver hoops.

Back