Blonde Ale Jamil's Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tried this one with crystal 20, willamette and a few late cascade additions, it's a great beer.

I made this as my very first all grain batch since it seemed so simple. Brewed it on Thursday, June 28th and hit 1.047 (78% first time efficiency). Last night it was already down to 1.010. Can't wait to get this carbed up in bottles and try it! I've made a couple Mr. Beer kits and 4 extract kits and couldn't wait to make the jump to all-grain. I'm hoping it was worth it.

I brewed this beer a few years ago and used American Lager yeast WY 2035 (grabbed the wrong yeast, meant to get American Ale WY1056), and took 1st place in Light Lager at Slurp and Burp in Portland OR. Judges said it was spot on for MGD.
Brewing it again with Kolsch Yeast and Mt. Hood hops at 60 and 15.
Also, I blend .25 lbs C10 and .25 Lbs C20 to get the C15 color that Jamil's recipe calls for- seems to work great.

I brewed this beer a few years ago and used American Lager yeast WY 2035 (grabbed the wrong yeast, meant to get American Ale WY1056), and took 1st place in Light Lager at Slurp and Burp in Portland OR. Judges said it was spot on for MGD.
Brewing it again with Kolsch Yeast and Mt. Hood hops at 60 and 15.
Also, I blend .25 lbs C10 and .25 Lbs C20 to get the C15 color that Jamil's recipe calls for- seems to work great.

So the batch with WY 2035, did you ferment at ale temps or at lager temps?

I brewed a slight variation on Jamil's Blonde Ale last night:

Grain:
10 lb. American 2-row
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L

Hops:
1.0 oz. EKG @ 60 min. (90-minute boil)

Modifiers:
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min.
5 Tbl. Fermax yeast nutrient @ 15 min.

Mash:
150º for 60 min.
1 Tbl. pH 5.2 buffer

Sparge:
Batch

Innoculation:
US-04 (double dry pitch)

Fermentation Temp.:
65º

I currently have a start and will probably leave it in primary for 11 to 15 days, then keg directly from primary. Will try to remember to report back before it's all gone.

:rockin:

Revitalizing this thread…

Has anyone thought of incorporating malted wheat into this recipe? Jamil discusses adding a “touch” of wheat in the BYO style profile. I’m contemplating adding 5% malted wheat to the mash bill. I’m not too concerned about any haze since I also plan on bastardizing it into a strawberry blonde anyway, and was hoping to add some mouthfeel. Mash bill I’m looking at is:

90% 2-Row
5% Crystal 15
5% White Wheat Malt
60 min Willamette addition to get to 20 IBUs.
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Anythoughts on wheat malt vs flaked? or the recipe in general?

Back