Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this yesterday. I had bought the Thomas Amber malt in two 1 pound bags and made the boneheaded mistake of crushing and adding all of it.
I also came up a tad short on the OG with 1.078.

We'll see how it turns out

I just put into secondary and did first dry hop.
My OG was 1.078 but 1.013 now. Tastes a tad bitter. Hoping it will sweeten.

I just put into secondary and did first dry hop.
My OG was 1.078 but 1.013 now. Tastes a tad bitter. Hoping it will sweeten.

I don't think I've ever had a beer get sweeter on me. You could try looking into softening the water profile to reduce the perceived bitterness post fermentation (I'd look into New England IPAs like heady topper)

Just wanted to update this thread. This interview was just posted with Sam and Mariah from DFH.

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/the-oral-history-of-dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa/

They mention at the end:

"But, I do think 90 Minute, with that balance between the complex mash bill, the different grains that we use in it, and our unique continual hopping approach, plus the centerpiece Palisade hops, which we focus our IPAs around, makes the beer really stand out in a world where there’s a new IPA coming to market every 90 minutes."

It would appear, and I think this may have been mentioned before in the thread, that they have moved away from Amarillo or Simcoe and are now using Palisade? Anyone have any ideas/info about this?

Am going to brew this soon based on the early recommendations on yeast and MO etc, but want to get the same flavour profile I had in a fresh 90 minute a month ago.

That being said, I am going to do this with Maris Otter, TF Amber and then hopped with Galena, and either Simcoe/Palisade or Amarillo/Palisade and either WLP007 or if I can get my hands on Ringwood, use that.

So my batch is in the bottle three weeks and carbed. As I noted before I used a full two pounds of the TFA by mistake.
It is quite a bit toastier than it should be but this beer is really good. The next time I do this beer I will try the palisades and use a hop bag in secondary. There is quite a bit of floaties.
This was my 8th recipe (5th all grain) and by far the best.

So if making the partial recipe for this would it matter if I used Pilsen or Golden DME?

This is formulated at 70% efficiency, add or subtract 2-row to adjust to your efficiency.

16lbs 2-row
1.25lbs Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt* (see note below)
3oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
Mix all hops together, and hop continuously for 90min** (see note below)
Mash at 149-150*
Ferment with WLP007 at 64*. Use a pitch rate calculator for your starter, you want around 300 billion cells.

Dry hop:
2oz Amarillo
2oz Simcoe
I like to split the additions in half over the 2 weeks

*Amber malt: Use Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt, don't just use any old amber malt. If you can't find Thomas Fawcett Amber, look harder. This is the exact malt DFH uses, and it's a distinctive flavor. It's available at quite a few online retailers if your LHBS doesn't carry it.

**Hopping: Mix all 5oz of hops together, how often you add them is up to you. Some people add a couple pellets every minute, others fill up 30 dixie cups, and add one cup per 3 minutes. Personally I do 10 additions, 0.5oz every 10 minutes, and it turns out excellent.

That's about it, it's actually a fairly easy beer to brew other than the continuous hoping. If you can't find WLP007, use WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread, or Safale S04. Definitely use WLP007 if it's available, the yeast character is dead on.

I just had a slightly tweaked version take 1st place for IIPAs in a competition.

View attachment 31145

Hello, i am fairly new at this. I had tried DFH 60 a couple of times. I really like the DFH 90. I prefer to use liquid yeast ( 2 ) instead of starter(lazy). I make error during pitching wrt right temp.. Any advice on how to fix this. How much time should I put the liq yeast pack out of refrigerator . And is around 70F for Wort ok. I find it difficult to know the liq yeast temp. Appreciate any advice.

Hello, i am fairly new at this. I had tried DFH 60 a couple of times. I really like the DFH 90. I prefer to use liquid yeast ( 2 ) instead of starter(lazy). I make error during pitching wrt right temp.. Any advice on how to fix this. How much time should I put the liq yeast pack out of refrigerator . And is around 70F for Wort ok. I find it difficult to know the liq yeast temp. Appreciate any advice.

yeah 90 minute is one tasty beer! Different liquid yeast packets have different instructions. Smack packs need to come out of the fridge much earlier than others that can be taken out and directly added to the wort. Make sure you read the back for proper instructions.

70 degrees is fine for pitching yeast. I usually cool down to my fermentation temp of 68 and then pitch. It might take a little bit longer for things to activate but you will get the same results!

cheers

Had to brew this again as I bought a few lbs of the amber malt and really enjoy this beer. Went with magnum instead of warrior hops as thats what I had. Hit 1.088 so I'm happy with that.

Back