What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water after wrapping up brewing a saison. Splitting this batch and adding peaches to half (for my wife) and oak cubes soaked in chardonnay to the other half.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Saw these at the liquor store earlier. I resisted buying them, though. This is just the first day here. Didn't want to blow my whole budget for the trip. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401995350.127588.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401995394.358833.jpg
Saw a bunch of Bruery, Lost Abbey, Maine and Allagash stuff too. I could spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars here.

Saw these at the liquor store earlier. I resisted buying them, though. This is just the first day here. Didn't want to blow my whole budget for the trip. View attachment 203819View attachment 203820
Saw a bunch of Bruery, Lost Abbey, Maine and Allagash stuff too. I could spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars here.

I'm going to LA this weekend. We get The Bruery here, but when I get into that taproom my wallet always gets a lot lighter :eek:

Fins got any conan left?

I miss Remmy's day drinking.

Water.

Hey Jessica, did I see another post saying you're gonna let that infected blackberry wheat ride out? Wasn't sure if you have another thread for it so figured I'd post here.

I had the same thing happen to a cider I added blackberries to, and I'd recommend pitching some sour bottle dregs too if possible. Just gives it a better chance of getting something good out of it. Who knows what's in it now.

Hmm, same yeast?
Yup, mangrove jack west coast IPA. Mine took off slow, was muddy, weird. I think my ferm chamber had huge swing in temps. 80F in the day 40F at night. It struggled then I moved it inside and put it in a swamp cooler. It took off further and life was fine.
Hey Jessica, did I see another post saying you're gonna let that infected blackberry wheat ride out? Wasn't sure if you have another thread for it so figured I'd post here.

I had the same thing happen to a cider I added blackberries to, and I'd recommend pitching some sour bottle dregs too if possible. Just gives it a better chance of getting something good out of it. Who knows what's in it now.
Yes! So it's lacto and actually isn't terrible in taste. It is sour but has a weird backend that says if I intended it to be a sour, then it needed more time. I was given the option to blend it with another 5 gallons of the same wheat recipe, give or take, with few hops but I was also told if I want to commit the time/space, I can let it ride.

I decided to let it go 3 more months and see what happens. If it is going the right way I'll let it go more, if not, I'll blend it and see what happens. I'm actually excited about it now. Another person tried it and said it was heavenly. He is a HUGE sour fan. So I think it's on a good track. I thought about starting a thread but I figured I'd wait.

Oh as for pitching sour dregs, I just asked Fins if that smokestack series Saison-Brett bottle was bottle conditioned. I thought about pitching a couple bottles of that and just f'ing with it. If not, I'll find a sour that has dregs and just pour a glass and pitch the slurry from the bottom straight to the bucket.

Yup, mangrove jack west coast IPA. Mine took off slow, was muddy, weird. I think my ferm chamber had huge swing in temps. 80F in the day 40F at night. It struggled then I moved it inside and put it in a swamp cooler. It took off further and life was fine.

Yes! So it's lacto and actually isn't terrible in taste. It is sour but has a weird backend that says if I intended it to be a sour, then it needed more time. I was given the option to blend it with another 5 gallons of the same wheat recipe, give or take, with few hops but I was also told if I want to commit the time/space, I can let it ride.

I decided to let it go 3 more months and see what happens. If it is going the right way I'll let it go more, if not, I'll blend it and see what happens. I'm actually excited about it now. Another person tried it and said it was heavenly. He is a HUGE sour fan. So I think it's on a good track. I thought about starting a thread but I figured I'd wait.

Oh as for pitching sour dregs, I just asked Fins if that smokestack series Saison-Brett bottle was bottle conditioned. I thought about pitching a couple bottles of that and just f'ing with it. If not, I'll find a sour that has dregs and just pour a glass and pitch the slurry from the bottom straight to the bucket.

All Boulevard smokestack are bottle conditioned. It is pasteurize (for quality) but new yeast is added to the bottle.

I've used MJ West Coast on one beer. The fermentation was sort of interesting. It didn't live up to the hype the first time I brewed... Have another pack I may use in the future on a smaller batch.

All Boulevard smokestack are bottle conditioned. It is pasteurize (for quality) but new yeast is added to the bottle.

But would you get anything useful out of it? I know a lot of breweries that do that won't carb with their expensive yeasts, and usually just use a generic ale or lager yeast.

Yea, it is bottle conditioned, but personally I'd go with something more sour, less funky. All depends on what flavors you want really. Saison-Brett just has Brett and no bacteria. You've already got the Lacto (probably) tho, so who knows.

But would you get anything useful out of it? I know a lot of breweries that do that won't carb with their expensive yeasts, and usually just use a generic ale or lager yeast.

Boulevard website says bottle conditioned with multiple yeasts including Brett.

This while prepping my humidor.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402001197.480511.jpg

Gandhi growler and two growlers of Fat Ten-er #6. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

No, you're not buzzed. It's Yeungling in a snifter.

You ask yourself, "why?" I ask myself, "why the **** not?"

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402003278.349709.jpg

Water. And sanitizing my oak barrel so I can rack my cherry-quad on over tomorrow.

Nothing. Stuck in traffic after an 11.5 day. Scouts and studying tonight, so probably no beer later, either. FML.

NHC can't come too soon.

Back