Lost my stir bar..Is there anything else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Reaction score
My guess is that I'm up $hit creek. I have turned my house upside-down and I can't find my stir bar. Has anyone else used anything other than a stir bar?

I'm going to try a paper clip. lol:cross:

lol this happened to me. I used a small bolt. I cut about 1.5 inches off the end. I stuck plastic drinking straw over the cutoff piece of the bolt and shrunk it with a lighter.

I called it my ghetto stir bar. I used it for two starters. No, it probably wasn't food grade (although maybe, it was a drinking straw), No there were no plastic or metallic flavors in my finished beer (it was ed's pale ale and turned out delicious), and yes I am still alive today.

Why i didn't just give up and shake my starter like bcstuff says above is beyond me. I think it's because I had just finished the DIY stir plate project and was determined to get the damn thing to produce some yeast. In my mind waiting for a stir bar in the mail was not an option. Neither was shaking lol.

When fiddling with my homemade stir plate I used a plastic coated paper clip. I straightened it out, then folded it in half and twisted it. It worked pretty well in testing, but I never did use it on yeast. The plastic kept it from rusting though.

lol this happened to me. I used a small bolt. I cut about 1.5 inches off the end. I stuck plastic drinking straw over the cutoff piece of the bolt and shrunk it with a lighter.

I called it my ghetto stir bar. I used it for two starters. No, it probably wasn't food grade (although maybe, it was a drinking straw), No there were no plastic or metallic flavors in my finished beer (it was ed's pale ale and turned out delicious), and yes I am still alive today.

Why i didn't just give up and shake my starter like bcstuff says above is beyond me. I think it's because I had just finished the DIY stir plate project and was determined to get the damn thing to produce some yeast. In my mind waiting for a stir bar in the mail was not an option. Neither was shaking lol.

LOL! :mug:This will be my first time using my DIY setup and that is why I can't just give up and pitch dry yeast or two vilals of 007. It would kill me to pitch $16.00 worth of yeast into my wort.

I just found my son's magnets that you throw into the air and make them crackle by banging them together. I'm going to use your straw method so I don't scrape the bottom.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

passedpawn said:
You are screwed.

I ain't givin up yet. But that's what I felt like for most of the day while I was looking for the damn thing.:(

I have been waiting to build a stir plate until I could get a “Stir Bar.” This thread is SO timely. Brewing this week and I will HAVE a stir plate very very soon.

Thanks Rover and all those who responded.

Now to find a large nail and some shrink wrap or a small straw. :ban:

Latest posts

Back