Temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I'm enjoying my first Saison experiment but it looks like I'm going to need better temperature control to really get this beer down. What is recommended as a way to gradually increase the temp of my fermentor and hold it for a week or two? My budget is limited but I am willing to invest.

It gets very hot where I live, so I invested in a freezer/controller setup. I paid $100 for a freezer off of craigslist, and $130 for the 2 stage digital controller. If you find a smaller/cheaper freezer/fridge and buy the $60 analog controller (or $80 single stage digital) you could knock that price down a bit.

It's awesome not having to worry about ferment temps at all, though.

I don't know that I have ever heard of a good (and safe) way to gradually adjust temperature outside of a temp controller attached to a ferm wrap or brew belt, or attached to a refrigerator. There are plenty of ways to hold temp constant that are cheap. Although, it is easier to reduce the temp than it is to increase it.

I just did the same thing as munche the other week. I highly recommend it. You could definitely go cheaper if you use the analog single stage controller, but since I'm fermenting essentially outside now I needed the option for cooling and heating.

That's the most hands off method of controlling at any rate.

Back