My First Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. My first brew day is in officially in the books. :rockin:

I think everything went fairly smooth, but it took me a bit longer than I expected. 4 1/2 hours to be exact. But that includes opening the brew equipment kit I purchased a few weeks ago, cleansing and sanitizing everything, reading through all of the directions, and cleaning up, etc.

I started with an Irish Red Ale kit that I got from Midwest. It's an extract kit, but came with some speciality grains.

Steeped the grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes in 3 1/2 gallons of spring water.
Added the LME.
Brought to a boil.
Added hops at 60 mins and at 2 mins.
Used an ice bath to cool down the wort, which took 35 mins.
Transferred the wort into the primary fermenter.
Topped off with more spring water to the 5 gallon mark.
Pitched the yeast.
Took a hydrometer reading (SG was 1.046...range is 1.042 to 1.046, so I'm happy with that).
Popped on the airlock.
Searched around the house for a spot where Wifey wouldn't mind a fermenter sitting for the next few weeks.
Cleaned up.

Some things I noticed that surprised me;
1) The wort smelled a lot better than it tasted. Granted, it wasn't cold or carbonated, but it didn't taste too good. I like Irish red ales, but this didn't taste like anything I would remotely enjoy yet.
2) It was a slow process to chill the wort. I thought this would be much quicker, but it was a slow process with the ice bath method.
3) I didn't particularly care for the smell of the hops. I like dark malty beers.

The house is a nice 65 degrees right now, and based on what I've read here, that seems to be a pretty good temp.

Overall, it was a good first day. Hope it turns out well.

Congrats on the successful day:mug:

You may want to look into investing in a wort chiller. It is faster than the ice bath. But some people find that the ice bath works just fine for them. I always taste my hydro sample straight out of the wine thief. And today, was the first time that I said, "wow that tasted pretty good. I hope it tastes like that later."

Just remember that the temperature of the wort will go up as the fermentation gets rolling. You may want to watch it. I think you'll be alright, though.

Well, it finally happened. My first brew day is in officially in the books. :rockin:

I think everything went fairly smooth, but it took me a bit longer than I expected. 4 1/2 hours to be exact. But that includes opening the brew equipment kit I purchased a few weeks ago, cleansing and sanitizing everything, reading through all of the directions, and cleaning up, etc.

I started with an Irish Red Ale kit that I got from Midwest. It's an extract kit, but came with some speciality grains.

Steeped the grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes in 3 1/2 gallons of spring water.
Added the LME.
Brought to a boil.
Added hops at 60 mins and at 2 mins.
Used an ice bath to cool down the wort, which took 35 mins.
Transferred the wort into the primary fermenter.
Topped off with more spring water to the 5 gallon mark.
Pitched the yeast.
Took a hydrometer reading (SG was 1.046...range is 1.042 to 1.046, so I'm happy with that).
Popped on the airlock.
Searched around the house for a spot where Wifey wouldn't mind a fermenter sitting for the next few weeks.
Cleaned up.

Some things I noticed that surprised me;
1) The wort smelled a lot better than it tasted. Granted, it wasn't cold or carbonated, but it didn't taste too good. I like Irish red ales, but this didn't taste like anything I would remotely enjoy yet.
2) It was a slow process to chill the wort. I thought this would be much quicker, but it was a slow process with the ice bath method.
3) I didn't particularly care for the smell of the hops. I like dark malty beers.

The house is a nice 65 degrees right now, and based on what I've read here, that seems to be a pretty good temp.

Overall, it was a good first day. Hope it turns out well.

Congrats. That was the first kit I made. You will really enjoy it. Don't forget 3 weeks to ferment, and 3 weeks in the bottle.

Congrats on day 1!

My brew day for all grain has been about 5 hours from the time I start gathering equipment and heating strike water, until I put the lid on the bucket.

Congrats on getting through your first brew! I tasted my wort for the first time today, and I will agree that it was nothing I would want to drink. I am excited to see how it transforms though.

After I was done steeping the grains, I placed them on the garbage and today, they smell like hell. Yuck! Hard to believe I'll be drinking this stuff in 6 weeks.

Save some of that spent grain and make bread dough or doggie treats. I also spread it out in my garden. It does stink after awhile, but if you freeze it, it should be fine.

Salute! :mug:

Back