Kegerator Conversion Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lb51oO

Reaction score
Planning on getting a Conversion kit for my fridge down stairs. Was looking at this one... Deluxe Kegerator Conversion Kit - Build a Beer Cooler Keg Tapper | BeverageFactory.com. They have a sale going on right now. I can get it $130 shipped. Just wondering if this all looks good... I'm not planning to do any home brews in it as of right now. Just buying some stuff. Will the coupler work ok for all US brews? Besides the domestic stuff (bud and what not). Thanks!

I think that will work with most comercial kegs. You can call your local beer supplier and verify the kind of tap you need. Looks like a pretty decent price, you will just need a CO2 tank.

1 Faucet Refrigerator Keg Kit for Standard Commercial (Sanke) Beer Kegs may be a better deal, as it comes with a 5# tank, but does not include 1) 6x4 Drip Tray for Fridge, with backsplash, Stainless Steel

Yeah I was thinking I could pick up a tank from a local place around here. Maybe get a good price.. who knows, I might even be able to get one from a friend. Thanks!

ALSO: If I did want to do some of my home brew stuff and keg it. What would I need to get (besides another keg that is)?

That looks like an ok deal. I've bought a lot of equipment from beveragefactory and been pretty happy with it.

Some things to consider:
1) What kind of tap do you need for your commercial kegs? That kit comes with a type "D" sankey which will cover most beers, but if you want anything special, you'll have to get another tap
2) You don't really need the wrench from that kit
3) If you want to add more taps to your fridge eventually, that drip tray will be too small.
4) The standard chrome faucet tends to stick depending on how often you use it. You might want to spend the extra $ up front and just get the perlick faucet. (I have both, the perlick is a dream)
5) I bought my 20# tank off beverage factory. If you can get that on sale, you generally won't find a new one cheaper anywhere else. -- If you can get a good deal on a used one though, go for that.

As for switching to a homebrew setup eventually, all you need are some conversion fittings. I have this one: conversion kit. I can switch between commercial and homebrew taps in a few minutes.

Great... thanks a lot guys for your help! Got one other question that you may or may not be able to answer. I forgot that when we moved into our house we were checking stuff out down stairs and in one of the closets down there we have a pretty big co2 tank. Its probably about 4 1/2 feet tall. Now... I obviously haven't used it. Do you think I could go trade it in for a 5lb tank at my local AirGas East?

Great... thanks a lot guys for your help! Got one other question that you may or may not be able to answer. I forgot that when we moved into our house we were checking stuff out down stairs and in one of the closets down there we have a pretty big co2 tank. Its probably about 4 1/2 feet tall. Now... I obviously haven't used it. Do you think I could go trade it in for a 5lb tank at my local AirGas East?

I wouldnt trade it find someone to buy it. A huge tank like that is worth many times more than a 5# tank

I started to do this conversion but hit a snag. I plan to run my lines through copper tubing as others have but found that i had these step, or pex fittings on my lines:
IMG_1719.JPG

Problem with these is that apparently they are single use only, and you need a special tool to both remove and apply them...priced at 20 and 30 bucks respectively at lowes. The lowes guy said I should be able cut the line, run it through the copper tube and then put these couplings on the ends to reconnect the line. Does anyone see a problem with this? or know a better solution?
IMG_1721.JPG

Back