I'm Sick someone help me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I came down with a sore throat and a headache Monday. Then it turned into drainage and a runny nose, now its full on face pain. Both sides of my nose, teeth everything hurts. PLUS runny nose, cough and fatigue!

I do not think I am running a fever, and my drainage is still clear. Do you guys think I should wait it out, or do you think I should go to the Doc? I'm thinking its just a cold, but I am worried its going to turn into a sinus infection. HOWEVER doctor is expensive and we have not met our deductible yet!

Taking Advil, Tylenol and Benadryl. And I am stuck at work! :(

My wife's dad died from a simple cold that turned into Pneumonia because he was stubborn and didn't go to the doctor. Don't be a *******, go get some help as its been five days and by your description is progressively getting worse.

it's the swine flu - quick, bottle up all your home brew and send it to me :)

I mean, hope you get better man....

Id go to the doc...

Suffering is needless, if you have not met the deductible yet (catostrophic claims ins.?) then look at this as getting one step closer to meeting it!

Seriously, I have done some ******* things with my health in the past, I learned my lesson. Id go in... when something ruptures in your nasal cavity you will be in there anyway.

I get those symptoms twice a year or so...as soon as they start now I hit the Mucinex. Mucinex D in the morning, regular at night...clears me right up.

I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

It's not a sinus infection unless your snot is green and brown. If it's clear, man up and take some otc drugs.:D

If it's not your usual cold symptoms, get yourself to the doc.

Medical advice on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt. You should see your doctor.

However, I've had symptoms like that and it turned out to be a "cold" virus and went away on it's own. These kinds of viruses can manifest themselves differently every time you get sick. So, to me, there isn't really a "normal" set of symptoms for colds (in detail... obviously general symptoms are usually the same). It all depends on the individual virus strain, your body's current immune system state and reaction to that specific virus, and the point of initial infection.

Often, bacterial upper respiratory infections are a secondary infection to a cold virus. IOW, you get a cold first and then, due to a weakened immune system, your body is open to infection by bacteria that it would normally fight off. One thing doctors typically look for is "colored" mucus (as opposed to relatively clear). If your mucus is colored, there is a greater chance that it is a bacterial infection. However, some viral infections can result in colored mucus as well, so it is not a definitive symptom.

One fear I have of going to the doctor for a most-likely viral upper respiratory infection, is the haphazard issuance of antibiotics. If it is a virus, taking antibiotics can do more harm than good.

But, again, this could be anything and your safest bet is going to the doctor.

Wait let me get this right, I should go to the doctor and not seek medical advice on home brewing forums? :D

I am going to call after this guy gets into work for a meeting. He just called and will be in now at 11 instead of 10. So an extra hour of suffering is in order!

I believe in treating things conservatively at first.

Eat some *****, and see how you feel later. It may not help your symptoms, but it won't hurt. I always feel better afterwards.

Take some Allergy otc meds.. and some Pseudoephedrine and tylenol for pain. You might also take some mucinex to help clear. If you feel your nasal passage open up but still feeling pain.. I'd go in to see them. Sinus infections happen pretty fast.

I seem to have gotten a ton because of nasty seasonal allergies. However I can usually tell when its just allergies or not. My son is sick atm (he is 8 months old) but he can't tell me whats up. (I tried)

I told my wife I needed a hot bath and a massage.... I am sure that will make me feel better. But he said LOL... :(

I feel your pain man, I have had some sort of viral tonsillitis (not strep, had the test) for 8 days now, feels like someone shoved a weed-wacker down my throat and let er' rip, tired as hell, and was going to take the day off but had a bunch of disasters come up at work...

For a sore vagina I usually prescribe some midol, if it really inflamed, apply some vagicil.

joking aside, don't take internet medical advice seriously!

Go to the doctor if you have had your symptoms for 7 days without them getting any better. If it is it a viral infection there nothing they can do. Get some rest, don't go to work and infect your coworkers, eat some chicken soup and drink some lemon and honey drink.

Enderwig: for a sore vagina, I recommend just giving more BJs for a while.

I never went to the doctor as I started to feel somewhat better by Friday evening. Its pretty much gone now, so it must have been just a cold! :D Thanks for all your warm wishes!

Back