Laser Engraved Crown Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have access to one of those at school, I was always told that I couldn't engrave anything metal with it though. Even if I was only etching paint on the surface :(

I have access to one of those at school, I was always told that I couldn't engrave anything metal with it though. Even if I was only etching paint on the surface :(
Different lasers affect different materials. Find out what type of laser it is and I could probably come up with some settings to at least blast annodizing of aluminum. We make lasers where I work and I am a service tech for them.

To the OP, what brand laser are you using?

Seriously man, you could get a vendor account and make a good chunk of change on these, assuming the price isn't too crazy.

I know a certain Lightsaber-related brewery that would be interested in a few hundred or so. Not naming any names, or anything. ;)

Seriously man, you could get a vendor account and make a good chunk of change on these, assuming the price isn't too crazy.

I know a certain Lightsaber-related brewery that would be interested in a few hundred or so. Not naming any names, or anything. ;)

yeah i have been looking into that....just curious as to what you guys think is a fair price?:mug:

That depends on quite a few things. Would we be required to do the artwork, or would you do that for us? If you did it, what would your time/effort be worth to you? If you did charge for the art, would you be able to keep our design on file, and would that mean we'd only have to pay the design fee once? Also, what are the legalities behind this? Would you have to pay taxes?

There are tons of questions, most of which you'll have to ask and answer yourself. I wish I could help more than just expressing my personal interest, but I'm afraid I have 0 business experience. Hopefully someone else around here could help you find the answers you're after.

Wow, didn't mean to sound so Yoda in that post. :drunk:

That depends on quite a few things. Would we be required to do the artwork, or would you do that for us? If you did it, what would your time/effort be worth to you? If you did charge for the art, would you be able to keep our design on file, and would that mean we'd only have to pay the design fee once? Also, what are the legalities behind this? Would you have to pay taxes?

There are tons of questions, most of which you'll have to ask and answer yourself. I wish I could help more than just expressing my personal interest, but I'm afraid I have 0 business experience. Hopefully someone else around here could help you find the answers you're after.

Wow, didn't mean to sound so Yoda in that post. :drunk:

yes those are all things i have been thinking about....thanks for your input on it!!!:tank:

If I were you I'd only accept print ready artwork. That way you don't burn a bunch of caps and then buyer decide they don't like it. If they provide the artwork, they should know exactly what its going to look like. If you wanted to sell design services as well, just make sure you have people approve the artwork first. I'm guessing line art would work best?

I'd love to see what you could do with this:

b7d6debde4d742d77afe83166d445a2f.png

Is there a format or resolution that works best for you? I have it in vector form as well. I'd be interested in a price for a gross initially - my logo may undergo some changes :)

You guys are forgetting this is not HIS laser. It's one he has access to use while at work.
Also keep in mind you're working with a 1 inch circle.

Here are a files from caps I've etched on our machines for two beers.
The circles are not etched, just used as alignment and size templates.

CartridgeAirway.jpg

Wow, that is quite amazing. I'm posting so I can come back and see later, this might be worth an investment! I'd be down for 1000 caps or so at some point.

I have FULL access to this machine as it is in my dad's engraving shop....and we are trying to find a way to make these products available for you over the internet...just a few kinks to work out...and i will be signing up for a vendor account with HBT...i will keep you updated!!!! :mug:

I did some sign making and screen printing work back in the day, and I would imagine your biggest challenge will be getting art work suitable for engraving. Someone is bound to send you a photo, or image containing lots of colors, which wont adapt well for engraving. Make sure you can get people to buy off on a 'proof' before running it in production, with an approximation of what the finished product will look like. You don't want to have to re-run a batch because they made a typo.

If your dad already runs an engraving shop, he probably knows all this already, and it will just be a matter of web-enabling the ordering/proofing process. I would price it high enough that it is something you continue to enjoy doing to make some cash, but keep plenty of orders coming in.

If you need help with the web enabling stuff, I may know a web programmer that might do some work for bottle caps.

yeah i have been looking into that....just curious as to what you guys think is a fair price?:mug:

As a novelty I would probably pay up to $.25 each for something intricate like "Mutt Dog Porter",

As something to cap a full batch I would like to see something closer to ~$5 for 48. I have no idea how much the etching actually costs, so I could be way off.

I have FULL access to this machine as it is in my dad's engraving shop....and we are trying to find a way to make these products available for you over the internet...just a few kinks to work out...and i will be signing up for a vendor account with HBT...i will keep you updated!!!! :mug:

wicked cool

Check out my thread in the vendors showcase!!!!! :mug:

Sorry man. I thought you worked somewhere that one of these. Our machines go mainly into automated production lines so that's what I was imagining. Congrats on vendors account and good luck.

I am not really open to doing this for people, just wanted to show some examples of layouts that could be done to keep in mind. But definitely convert images to Black and White for him.

Back