Yeast for Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
irish ale yeast will add a small amount of diacetyl, which can be very pleasant in a stout if not overpowering. california ale and US-05 are very similar strains that will make a nice, smooth, pleasant ale. not much experience with s-04.

irish ale yeast will add a small amount of diacetyl, which can be very pleasant in a stout if not overpowering. california ale and US-05 are very similar strains that will make a nice, smooth, pleasant ale. not much experience with s-04.

what does diacetyl taste like?

I'm going for a real smooth flavor like Ninkasi Oatis.

I used S-04 on an Oatmeal Stout that was delicious. The attenuation was lower than I would have liked, but that was my fault (mash temp high). No experience with S-05.

I love S-04

For my personal preferences I stay away from everything that can leave diacetyl. Even for beers where the style states its "acceptable", I'm out. That slick, just at cheap microwave popcorn slickness is no good.

Short answer is Yes.

The long answer is it depends on what you want from your oatmeal stout.
An American style oatmeal stout is usually large roasty and uses a clean yeast like US-05 or Cali Ale.
An English style will be a little lower OG but sweeter and full bodied. S-04 will be lower attenuating and provide more character. Some of the english style liquid yeasts are also good here.
Irish Ale yeast and Nottingham provide different characters but both are somewhat cleaner and more attenutative than S-04.

My Smooth Oatmeal Stout in the recipe database is a lower gravity stout that uses S-04 to good effect. I am now drinking a bigger roastier Oatmeal stout made with US-05 that is also great but very different.

Just decide what you want from the yeast and pick the appropriate variety for your goals.

Craig

Back