Six Point Sweet Action Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
My lady friend loves Six Point's Sweet Action, and I've been trying to do some detective work to put together a recipe. The website puts the IBUs at 31-33, and the ABV at 5% even. Both very helpful! But that's the end of the info from the brewery. Piecing together info from various sources, this seems to be an American Blonde (though some have called it a Cream Ale) with Yakima hops and a Belgian yeast (the brewery calls it 007, and it's highly flocculent).

An article about the brewery referred to honey malt, but it didn't say if that was for Sweet Action or another beer (though I suspect there's a bit of it in Sweet Action). I read a blog post about a brewery tour where they were using wheat for the Sweet Action, but I'm not sure how much.

So, anyone out there who has had this beer want to hazard a guess on:
1) How much wheat is in the grain bill?
2) What the heck 007 would be akin to. (Is this WLP-007???)
3) How they get so much aroma in the beer. Is it dry hopped??

Thanks.

I talked to the brewer and they use a blend of Horizon, Glacier, and Simcoe hops. That's all I got from him though. I'd love to get a recipe as well. Thats a great beer!!

Sweet! I only knew about the Glacier, didn't hear about the other hops.

I'm taking my first crack at a clone here in a week or two. I'll report back regardless of whether it works or not.

Other info that I've since gathered, just for the record:
Made with Pilsner, Glen Eagles Maris Otter, and wheat malts, as well as "a couple of really unique malts in it that create an incredible aroma."
Fermented with a Belgian yeast that provides a dry spiciness.
33 IBU.
5.2% ABV

Hah... you are attempting the same detective work that I am.

Apparently the Glen Eagles is what gives it that incredible color. The brewers at Six Point are pretty awesome and willing to chat so maybe next time I'll get them sauced up more and see if they'll crack..

I gave this a shot, it's carbing as we speak. I'll post the recipe when I get back home. But, judging by the uncarbed beer I tried, it's not fruity/floral enough. Do not underestimate the hops in this beer. They're plentiful, but sneaky.

I went with simcoe and glacier. I think the glacier was useless.

I subscribed to this thread, please let me know how it turns out.

What was your thinking with the Glacier? I was planning more along the lines of Cascade/Amarillo, but they are just guesses. There is certainly a lot going on in that beer!

Well, here was my recipe. My starting gravity was off. Measured at 1.055 instead of 1.067, fermented dry to 1.008 instead of the estimated 1.016. So, 6% ABV. That's a full 1% higher than Sweet Action. I'll have to work on that.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 57.14 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (4.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.9 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the Glacier entirely and go Simcoe all the way through. My thinking with the Glacier was two-fold: 1) One of the posts above mentioned Horizon/Simcoe/Glacier. Horizon is a high-alpha hop, so I assumed that was for cost efficient bittering, Simcoe would give it that mango/ice tea sort of flavor so I went with that for the flavor addition. 2) I didn't think there was that much resiny American hop in the nose, so I went with the delicate floral Glacier for the aroma. It's still carbing, so I don't want to rush to judgment, but if I had it to do again, I'd go all Simcoe.

As for the grains, there are some wild guesses in there. Some online pics of a brewery tour showed the Gambrinus honey malt, and Sweet Action has a bit of a honey-sweet note to it. The honey malt was also a nice way to get the SRM up where I thought it should be. Next time, I'd forego it and use some crystal 10 for light sweetness and crystal 80 (maybe) for orange color. The pound of rye might not be necessary, but it's got a trademark Six Point spiciness to the malt profile that could just be wheat, or the yeast, but I wanted to hedge my bets. The aromatic...well, he said in an interview that they have some really interesting malt in this beer that give it a lovely malt aroma, so I thought of aromatic. I'm really taking stabs in the dark here, and it's probably more complicated than it needs to be. Anyway, once it carbs, I'll give you a run down on flavor. Having tasted it flat, I'd say it needs far more hops in the flavor/aroma addition.

Well, this is a decent beer, but it's not great, and it's not sweet action. Despite coming out at 1.008, it's a bit too sweet, and a bit too heavy in terms of mouthfeel.

And, most disappointingly, it lacks the spicy wheat bite, even though I added rye to try to get it there. This might be a problem of using wheat extract instead of unmalted wheat. I'll have to check into that.

All in all, if I had it to do over, I'd nix the honey malt, scale back on the Maris Otter, and up the bittering and finishing hops.

Back to the drawing board.

Hello,

I was in a local bar coming home from work when I came across this wonderful beer. I'm trying to clone it as well. I think I need to go to the brewery and ask them directly what their grain bill and hop schedule is. I'll keep you posted.

I am attempting to do this for my next beer, will report any findings as well.

Hey folks, the recipe is not really close. I used to brew this beer professionally (no joke) and it has A LOT of different grain in it. Like kitchen sink amount.

All I'll say is the hopping is Horizon, Glacier, massive hit of Simcoe.

Hey folks, the recipe is not really close. I used to brew this beer professionally (no joke) and it has A LOT of different grain in it. Like kitchen sink amount.

All I'll say is the hopping is Horizon, Glacier, massive hit of Simcoe.

Sneaky :)

Must be the same massive hit of Simcoe as in Signal. :ban:

OK, I'll say that there is no Rye or Aromatic. Vienna, 2-Row, Caramalt, Carafoam, and a few others in addition to what was mentioned? Maybe. ;-)

I have just attempted a clone batch of Sixpoint's Sweet Action today. I'm hoping that it comes out tasting pretty similar to the real thing.

Back