Missed OG and FG consequences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
OK so I've got a half dozen or more brews under my belt and they all have, so far, turned out to be great beer. So what are the consequences of missing OG and FG by a few points (2 or 3) when brewing beer? I know if your chasing an exact beer style then things may not be perfect but what other consequences are there? Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks.

If your gravity is only off by a couple of points, you are golden! It is often difficult to do much better than that, especially if you are brewing 5 gals or less.

I dont think there are any consequences, it will still be great beer, I tend to not sweat the small stuff, 2 or 3 points either way is no big deal to me:mug:

I agree, I'm a beer snob but when it comes to 1 to 4 points of difference, I can't tell and truly don't care. If you like the beer, then it's great, if others like it then that's additional points but not the issue.
Your the brewer, brew to your taste.

All beer styles have a range of OG, ABV, IBU, etc. The chance that 4 points will push a batch out of style is minor. The delta in IBUs due to that small of a change is undetectable.

All beer styles have a range of OG, ABV, IBU, etc. The chance that 4 points will push a batch out of style is minor. The delta in IBUs due to that small of a change is undetectable.

This is the biggest thing-- your IBU amount relative to your SG.

In styles that are very precise and balanced, like a bohemian pils-- hitting close to gravity is essential.

In styles like IPA's or something bigger, it isn't as essential to creating a great beer.

Back