Adding color post boil pre yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I just made a simple grist lager. Straight 2 row and rice. The color is horrific. Dirty dishwater comes to mind. I have it chilling and will pitch tomorrow. Should I boil/steep some darker grain in a sauce pot just for color and add it to fermenter PRE yeast. I'm already over my OG so I'm not looking to bump up the gravity.If it goes up a little so be it. I just want some color, straw color would fit the style.

Granted its designed to be very light beer but a little color would be nice...Its a mental thing, who want to drink a watery looking beer even if it taste good.
What I have on hand that I would think could darken it up is a pound of C60.

How should I go about this?

20170203_164906_resized.jpg

Add blue food coloring and serve it as Romulan ale? Either that or use opaque glasses. Seriously though, I personally think it's more important how it tastes. The C-60 is going to contribute some flavor and sweetness too, which doesn't sound like something you'd want.

I've had this concern before....I have found the conditioned clear beer takes on a much more favorable appearance.

I think you may be prematurely evaluating this beer.

If you want to add something to help appearance, add some gelatin and cold storage, and have a brilliant clear lager....yea man that's the way we do it.

I've had this concern before....I have found the conditioned clear beer takes on a much more favorable appearance.

I think you may be prematurely evaluating this beer.

If you want to add something to help appearance, add some gelatin and cold storage, and have a brilliant clear lager....yea man that's the way we do it.
Thats the plan. I'm excited to see how the 34/70 yeast turns out. First time using it. My plan is 5 days at 51, 7 days at 65, 7 days at 32. If a week at 32 doesn't clear it up nothing will.

Here it is at just 2 weeks.. I gotta say for a 2 week Lager it tastes pretty good...still kinda ugly but very drinkable.

20170216_151636_resized.jpg

Doesn't look bad to me for the grain you used....but, Don't worry lagering it will clear it up. I've seen worse looking dish water...:D

Back