Starter without DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I don't have any extra malt I was wondering if I could take a beer and just boil it like crazy for a few minutes then let it cool and pitch the yeast in that. Will that make a starter? Is there any other way to make a starter without DME?

No, the point of the starter is to grow yeast and to grow yeast you need to provide nutrients in the form of fermentables. Do you have anything to make a starter out of? LME, 2-row, etc? What are you brewing with? Can you just use part of your brewing kit?

Yooper Chick said:
Do you have anything to make a starter out of? LME, 2-row, etc? What are you brewing with? Can you just use part of your brewing kit?

I have a pound of 2 row and 7# of LME. The LME is in a large plastic bag that is sealed and I don't have anythng that could hold the liquid for a few days while the starter is starting. Its a bit of a pain.
Warm water and sugar wont cut it huh? The 2 row was for steeping in the weekend brew.

I always skip the starter. I was thinking far nuf ahead this time but guess I don't have the right stuff. Its a whitelabs vial.

Yooper Chick said:
No, the point of the starter is to grow yeast and to grow yeast you need to provide nutrients in the form of fermentables. Do you have anything to make a starter out of? LME, 2-row, etc? What are you brewing with? Can you just use part of your brewing kit?

How do you make a starter with just grain? Just steep them? I don't have any DME on hand so figured I'd use a little grain from the recipe. Here is the grain bill:

1/2# 60L Crystal malt
4oz US Chocholate malt
9.33# 2-row

I imagine you'd just mash the grain like you normally would with a normal batch. I've never done it, but I would guess use maybe 1 lb of grain in a quart of water at 155F for an hour, then sparge with a gallon of water through a strainer. Boil it for a few minutes, then let it cool to pitching temp.

In short, a real coccygodynia . But you could do it if you wanted to!

eviltwinofjoni said:
I imagine you'd just mash the grain like you normally would with a normal batch. I've never done it, but I would guess use maybe 1 lb of grain in a quart of water at 155F for an hour, then sparge with a gallon of water through a strainer. Boil it for a few minutes, then let it cool to pitching temp.

In short, a real coccygodynia . But you could do it if you wanted to!

I think your right. I may be better just taking a quart of the first runnings or something like that, letting it cool, and then pitch. But I don't know if that's even worth it? That will only give it about an hour or so.

It's probably not worth it to save the first runnings to make a starter. Once I get going full bore into all grain I'm going to save the last runnings of my batches in my ersatz malt buckets, and freeze it for future starters.

Back