Strisselspalt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewdell19

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using this hop in a GF beer? I have 2 oz of it and want to use it. I am going for a lighter beer and I think the 4 lbs of Rice Solids and Syrups will help achieve that. I also have some ideas of trying a blueberry or strawberry whit beer? Any ideas?

1 lbs Light Toasted Buckwheat and 1 lbs Light Toasted Millet at 150 for 30 mins seeped in water before boil for 30 mins
3 lbs Sorghum Extract 60 mins
2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids 60 mins
2 lbs Rice Syrup Extract 60 mins

1 oz Strisselspalt 60 mins
.5 oz Strisselspalt 15 mins
.5 Strisselspalt 5 mins

Yeast?? I have Danstar, S05, S04, s06, s33, T58. Obviously if I was doing a whit beer I would want a yeast with low sedimentation and if I wanted a Pils I would want a higher sedimentation. I have used the Raspberry extract and I did not like that at all with the all Sorghum Extract beer I made a year ago. So I am not sure about using the strawberry or blueberry extract if doing the whit beer.

Hopes I also have:
Perle, Goldings, Saaz, German Magnum, Czech Premiant, Fuggles, Citra, Glacier, Mt Hood, Cascade, French Strisselspalt, Liberty,

I am brewing tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

I just cracked open a very young bottle of my last batch last night, and it was great.

6 lbs Sorghum Extract
1 lb rice syrup solids
2 oz strisselspalt (60 min)
1 oz coriander (10 min)
1 oz bitter orange (1 min). Also, as a note, I've used the peel from a fresh, standard orange on one occasion. Worked fine.
4 oz of MaltoDextrin

I've used T-58 as the yeast.

My most recent batch, I upped my 'technology' to a late-extract addition and a ~ 4 gallon boil.

I just cracked open a very young bottle of my last batch last night, and it was great.

6 lbs Sorghum Extract
1 lb rice syrup solids
2 oz strisselspalt (60 min)
1 oz coriander (10 min)
1 oz bitter orange (1 min). Also, as a note, I've used the peel from a fresh, standard orange on one occasion. Worked fine.
4 oz of MaltoDextrin

I've used T-58 as the yeast.

My most recent batch, I upped my 'technology' to a late-extract addition and a ~ 4 gallon boil.

What kind of brew were you going for? What was your fermentation schedule? Glad you had positive results with it and I am excited to use it now! Why did you only use 2 oz at 60 mins and that was it?

What kind of brew were you going for? What was your fermentation schedule? Glad you had positive results with it and I am excited to use it now! Why did you only use 2 oz at 60 mins and that was it?

I was basing this on a wit recipe. The end result is something similar to a belgian wit, but it doesn't have the starchy, wheat flavor. I'd say its a cross between a wit, and something like an enkel or even a tripel without the extra kick.

Fermentation schedule on the last batch was just over 2 weeks in a 70 room. The 'fermometer' on the bucket read as high as 74. I should have left it another week for the yeast to fully drop out, but I was impatient and wanted my bucket, so I cold crashed & used gelatin (put the bucket on the floor of my ~50 basement for a day, then put it in an ice bath for half a day or so until I bottled).

I was basing this on a wit recipe. The end result is something similar to a belgian wit, but it doesn't have the starchy, wheat flavor. I'd say its a cross between a wit, and something like an enkel or even a tripel without the extra kick.

Fermentation schedule on the last batch was just over 2 weeks in a 70 room. The 'fermometer' on the bucket read as high as 74. I should have left it another week for the yeast to fully drop out, but I was impatient and wanted my bucket, so I cold crashed & used gelatin (put the bucket on the floor of my ~50 basement for a day, then put it in an ice bath for half a day or so until I bottled).

Did you put the gelatin in before you did the cold crashing? Is your method of cold crashing doing an incebath for a half a day? i had really good experience with gelatin the first couple of times I have used it but lately not so much. I use the Knox gelatin from the grocery store. I package, put in cold water, heat to warm and gelatin is dissolved and then add to secondary. Is your beer clear?

When I've used gelatin, what I've done is boiled some water, let it cool, and when it got cool enough that I could touch the side of the pot without it being 'hot' (very scientific here) I start mixing in the gelatin. Then I dump it in the carboy (I tend to go in a circle so that it doesn't all get dumped in one place). At this point, I don't put the carboy back in my 'warm room', I put it in my very cold basement, right on the floor. I'm guessing leaving it like this for a couple days would work well, but I'm impatient, so it sat there for basically a day, and after that, I brought it upstairs and put it in an ice bath, it sat there for probably 10 hours before I bottled.

My experience is that gelatin, combined with cooling the beer down, speeds up the clearing. Shortly after bottling, the first was a little hazy.
Eventually, it got to this:

100_0803.jpg

Damn that looks nice!!!
I dont have a basement but I do have a garage that gets down to 45 or so at night during the winter and I usually put my beers out there after 2 weeks in the secondary.

Ok so I only had 1 oz of the Strisselspalt for some reason I thought I had 2 oz.

2 Lbs Sorghum Malt
1 Lb Rice Syrup Solids
4 Lbs Rice Syrup
.5 lbs light roasted buckwheat
.5 lbs light roasted Millet
1 oz Strisselspalt 60 mins
.5 oz Hersbucker 15 mins
1 package of 34/70 yeast

starting gravity 1.042

I am expecting a light brew like a golden pilsner.
I know some of have said that using the Rice Syrup as your base gives it more of a bisquick taste so I am thinking maybe try some maple syrup in the next batch. I have read reviews on the maple syrup and people say that when the beer is young the maple syrup gives it a twang and when it ages it gets better. I have a hard time letting my beers age.

Just kegged today... pilsner color, smell is like what a pilsner would be, the taste is a little bit fruity. Not citrus like sorghum, but a different fruit taste. When I add raspberry (a tiny bit to a glass of beer) it almost tastes like apricott which is very interesting. I think I put too much rice malts in it, and i think next time I will do half and half sorghum and BRS. I am thinking that maple syrup would taste good in it.

I think in order to post a pic you need to pay for your membership?

Almost carbed (sitting at 35 psi and shaking it every hour or so when I am home)

I think in order to post a pic you need to pay for your membership?

Almost carbed (sitting at 35 psi and shaking it every hour or so when I am home)

No, you just need to be a member to store pics on this forum's server. If you've got pics, upload them to photobucket, then use the 'insert image' button on here to post it.

honestly, if you have access to 4 or 5 lbs of frozen blueberries or strawberries, i would rack onto them in secondary. i have a strawberry blonde recipie floating around here that was totally amazing.

i was under the impression that a lot of the heffe flavor came from the yeast used. can you get a hold of a heffe yeast?

honestly, if you have access to 4 or 5 lbs of frozen blueberries or strawberries, i would rack onto them in secondary. i have a strawberry blonde recipie floating around here that was totally amazing.

i was under the impression that a lot of the heffe flavor came from the yeast used. can you get a hold of a heffe yeast?

Not sure what my homebrewstore has. I use fermentis and safale for my yeasts. I know they have a wheat yeast... what do you use for your Heffe yeast?

This brew is already kegged, so I will do the frozen fruit next time around.

Heck yea! After about 2 more weeks in the keg this has lost a lot of the pineapply taste!! This makes a very decent light beer much like a pilsner which I can deal with. Add fresh strawberries and it pretty much like a straw blonde.

Back