Styles of Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelshults

Reaction score
For my next beer, I'd like to brew a Stout. My LHBS has lots of recipes and the people there are very helpful, but I would like to be a little more well versed in what to ask for when I go in.

I love Guinness and know that it is a Dry Irish Stout. I am very intrigued by some of the styles like Milk Stouts and Oatmeal Stouts, but I've never had them and would like to know a little bit more about how they (and some of the many others) compare to each other.

Like I said above, I love Guinness and wouldn't mind making something very similar. I don't really want anything too malty sweet. I know the styles are different but I'm not really a fan of the sweet and chocolately flavors of some sweet porters, so I think I want to avoid any type of stout that is predominant in those flavors.

I love hops. Are there any Stouts that have a hoppy profile? Has anyone ever dry hopped a Stout?

I'm pretty new to homebrewing. I've brewed 4 batches now (2 Amber Ales, Porter, Blonde Ale), so I also don't want anything that is incredibly complicated.

I know there are a lot of questions here, but I'm trying to learn a bit before I brew up a batch of something that I don't like. Again, I'm not really looking for specific recipes, just some discussion (or even just some good links) on flavor profiles of different Stouts.

Thanks!

My first stout, last winter, was a throw-together based on a recipe in brewing classic styles (I think). I basically took a look at my inventory and decided a stout was in order. I made it big and estimated on the hops. Because I used my own homegrown hops, and the weight to alpha acid ratio was unknown, it came out pretty hoppy!

It scored very well in competition (actually probably losing points for being too hoppy) and more importantly it was well received by many people who I trust to give honest feedback. And even though the hops were noted in the feedback on the scoresheets, the taster indicated that he really liked it!

So my point is, if you like hops, add them! I brewed another stout this year and although it's "ok", it's not nearly as tasty IMO as last years with the extra hoppiness.

I second the American Stout suggestion. And I'd hop it like an IPA and dry hop it too.

FWI - Last years stout was cooled in a snowbank overnight, leaving the hops in the brew kettle all night. I'm sure that contributed to the hops flavor shining through. Adding extra hops at flameout can accomplish this without the need to let it sit overnight in the cold.

@wonderbread23: Excellent link, very informative. Like I said, I'm new to homebrewing. I have heard of the BJCP guidelines but never thought to try to look for them online. That answered a ton of questions.

@Revvy: I'll stop by the bookstore and see if they have that issue. I've been considering subscribing to BYO lately, but haven't checked out a full issue. But I check out their site pretty often.

So, from what you guys recommend and what I read on the BJCP site, Oatmeal Stouts and Milk Stouts are both traditionally sweeter and based on my tastes I should go with the American Stout or Dry Stout and either of these would still be good with a hop boost? Is a hoppy American Stout going to taste very similar to a hoppy Porter? What will the main differences be?

Thanks again for all of the great feedback!

Or go by the store and pick up a few bombers of different style stouts and pick out which style you like the best and then find a recipe.

If you've never had a milk stout or oatmeal stout you probably don't want five gallons on the chance you don't like it. If you don't like malty porters you're probably not going to like milk stouts or oatmeal stouts too much.

Go with a dry Irish stout or an American stout.

i agree that your tastes point toward an american stout, but I don't feel oatmeal stout is sweeter than other stouts. it maybe has more body/mouthfeel than a stout without oatmeal in it, but don't equate oatmeal with sweetness in beer. it's nothing like eating cinnamon apple oatmeal in the morning. if you can find it, st. ambroise oatmeal stout is a great example of the style.

I would suggest trying a milk stout or sweet stout before brewing one up. They are significantly sweeter and I don't care for them. An oatmeal stout has a fairly different mouthfeel, but otherwise not that much different. An American stout is in order if you like a somewhat stronger, more hoppy stout. Lots of roast and even coffee flavor.

+1 to Homercidal about sweet/milk stouts. I brewed a milk stout and found it too sweet. the FG was around 1.018 for a 5% beer. Lactose in the beer doesn't completely ferment out. It was a nicely brewed beer but was too cloying.

I opted for a Freeminer Deep Shaft Stout clone. I've never had one of those but I brewed it last week and the wort before fermentation was delicious. I can't wait to try this when it's ready. This is the highest gravity beer I've done and it had a really violent fermentation for the first few days. I'll post again when it's ready to drink. Thanks for the help from everyone.

Latest posts

Back