Why use a Plastic jug if you have a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorpBrew

Reaction score
Im reading "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and it implies to have a plastic jug and a carboy, but the directions have nothing to do with the plastic jug. I also see kits that include jugs and carboys for fermentation. Arent these two play the same role? is so then why do I need both? why cant I just use my carboy? This could be a dumb question but I just want to make sure what I need. I currently have one old capper and a 5 gallon carboy and I'm shopping for the rest. im debating on buying all the missing items taht I need or just buy a kit. Any answers to my first question and/or recemendations on what I need to do to complete my equipment list.

Thanks

Nick

Im reading "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and it implies to have a plastic jug and a carboy, but the directions have nothing to do with the plastic jug. I also see kits that include jugs and carboys for fermentation. Arent these two play the same role? is so then why do I need both? why cant I just use my carboy? This could be a dumb question but I just want to make sure what I need. I currently have one old capper and a 5 gallon carboy and I'm shopping for the rest. im debating on buying all the missing items taht I need or just buy a kit. Any answers to my first question and/or recemendations on what I need to do to complete my equipment list.

Thanks

Nick

you can use a 5 gallon carboy as your primary fermentor for 5 gallon batches BUT...

you'll have to use a blow off tube and risk it getting clogged and exploding. From what I've read, most folks use a 6 or 6.5 gallon carboy for fermentation.

You're right that you don't absolutely need another container beyond the fermentation container. I like my plastic "ale pale" because it's easy to pour into, easy to siphon out of, and it's easy to clean.

You do need a bottling bucket. And you'll need that 5 gallon carboy if you want to dry hop or do any secondary fementation/ aging.

Buckets are way easier in every way IMHO. But some people are freaked about plastic or gotta have glass or just like carboys so they can see what's going on.

I wouldn't do a 5 gal batch of beer in a 5 gal carboy tho.

Back