Adding Maltodextrin to Extract Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
Been doing some research on this stuff sounds like it would be a nice addition to some of the darker beers, but I just ordered a American pale and Irish red and was wondering if anyone thought it would be an appropriate thing to add 3 oz or so to either one of those for a better beer.

Thanks

Wow, amazing such a small amount would even have an effect!

What is it that makes you think more than that was to much?

In the grand scheme of things, I much prefer adding grain than adding powder (although I do use corn sugar to prime...). But the carapils vs. maltodextrine both have the same effect...more unfermentable sugar in the final product. I know it's supposed to add to head retention and more body/mouthfeel, but I can't really tell that much difference. Another alternative is to prime with some DME (esp. the darker DME which is more carmelized and hence less fermentable).

It would be interesting to split your brew up into 2 at bottling time and prime and boil with corn sugar+maltodextrine in one batch and then only with corn sugar in the second...see for yourself what the contribution is. Post back with what you find.

Marc.

I added it to a brown Ale that had too low of a F.G. I think it helped. The beer is great right now. I keep it on hand and use it only when its needed but it is something good to have around I think.

pirate252 said:
Wow, amazing such a small amount would even have an effect! What is it that makes you think more than that was to much?
The brew was too thick. While it flowed well into and out of the glass as you looked at it in the glass it was like jello with floaties suspended. They didn't move a bit.

Hmm. I really like the idea of keeping it around and adding it if the FG is to low... That way I can have a bandaid for a brew if I think its gonna be to watery...

I am priming with DME, not corn sugar, but I think I will try adding some to a few bottles and see what difference it makes, sounds like a good way to find out if I like the effect it has.

Thanks

I also used 8 oz. It is not the easiest stuff to disolve though, I will tell you that. It takes alot of stirring and you want to disolve it in the least amount of water you can.

I'd recommend Carapils for any brew that would otherwise be all extract. My peach cream ale was all extract and it has hardly any mouth feel to it.

I used 8oz. of Carapils in my hazelnut stout. Best beer I've ever tasted. I'm planning to use 4oz to 8oz in every beer I make now as long as I'm in doing extract brewing. But I should also say that I like my beers to be on the maltier side.

Back