Starter Blow Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhedjed

Reaction score
Made a starter (WhiteLabs California Ale) Sunday night in a 2L growler and I woke up this morning, and had a full head of krausen that was bubbling out of my airlock. I never expected to need a blow off tube for a starter...

I left about an inch or so head space below the neck of the growler, but apparently that wasn't enough.

Lesson learned.

Wait, where was the top of the liquid?

An inch from the top of the growler itself, or an inch from where the growler starts to taper in?

A better question, how big was your starter? volume and gravity.

Ive always made a 1L 1.040 starter in a 2L flask on a stir plate and never had krausen rise above the 1.25L mark.

At least you know you'll have a nice fermentation when you pitch :D

It was an inch below where the neck of the growler begins. The gravity was around 1.45 or so...I did not use a stir plate, but was shaking vigorously every chance I got...I guess I got that fermentation kicking.

I can't wait to hear how your brew turns out after using this starter. What are you making?

It was an inch below where the neck of the growler begins. The gravity was around 1.45 or so...I did not use a stir plate, but was shaking vigorously every chance I got...I guess I got that fermentation kicking.

I had a 2L wine bottle with a 1L starter in it. When I would shake it the krausen always grew insanely and lots of CO2 was released (blew the foil top off once). Maybe it happened then?

I gave it some good shaking before I went to bed, and it of course bubbled like crazy, but I have a thick krausen today.

I'm brewing an original Double IPA partial mash with it that has an estimated OG of around 1.075 or so (modest for a DIPA, I know)...I ought to have plenty of yeast cells to get this guy going. Hoping to brew tomorrow night. With all of my other starters I have refrigerated and decanted, and I hope to do the same if this active fermentation slows anytime soon. I'd rather not pitch 2L of oxidized starter...

Back