Dispensing pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxx233

Reaction score
Is there any device that can be put in-line on the beverage line to regulate the pressure coming out of a corny keg?

I'm just [successfully] getting into soda and would like to maintain high pressure in my keg to keep it carbonated, but be able to have low pressure at the tap so it doesn't go surging out all over the place ;) Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to purge pressure in the keg down to a suitable level every time I want to dispense, then re-pressurize to keep equilibrium at proper soda level?

My serving/dispensing/carbonation pressure is the same. For soda, it's like 30 psi so I just use a LONG line. I think I have about 25 feet of 3/16" line for soda, but it's perfect. I use about 10 feet for beer.

So the long line will actually lower the pressure or what? How's the theory behind that work, I've heard of it before but don't quite understand.

If you haven't poured a glass for a day or two, how much do you need to toss down the sink before you get to the fresh-from-the-keg stuff, out of curiousity? I suppose it really wouldn't be much

I don't pour any soda out- it's ok in the line for a while. I bought it from McMaster-Carr (it's about $.15/foot) and it's more rigid than some beer line of the same diameter.

I can't explain the physics of it very well, but the longer line works to "hold" the co2 in suspension in the liquid. At a high psi, using a short line would be like using a fire hose, causing foaming. I guess a good analogy would be a garden hose. A long unkinked hose can pour pretty slowly. But if you put your finger over a part of the opening, it can spray with some force. It's sort of the same with beer line and high psi. A very long line can let you pour even at soda carbonation pressures without foaming.

Is there any device that can be put in-line on the beverage line to regulate the pressure coming out of a corny keg?

Umm, how about a soda dispensing valve?

Seriously, they're well suited to the purpose. They have an adjustable compensator that you tweak until there's no foam (at a given dispense pressure & temperature).

Cornelius apparently have a 'slide rule' for pre-mix that will tell you the appropriate pressure for a given ambient temperature & desired volumes of CO2, but I've not seen one.

I bought it from McMaster-Carr (it's about $.15/foot) and it's more rigid than some beer line of the same diameter.

Yoop...do you have an item number for the beverage line? That price is about $.55/foot cheaper than I can find 3/16 beverage line anywhere and would love to take advantage of that.

Back