I feel validated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhunter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to relate a tale. I have a friend who has always criticized my homebrew. She likes her Heineken and says why can't I brew anything as good as that? Well to be fair I've only been brewing for a year and my early efforts were pretty bad. But slowly I've refined my technique and just promised myself there would be gradual improvement. I added temperature control, went all grain,, and in short shored up just about every sloppy technique I had. I ordered the Heineken clone allgrain kit from Austin Homebrew and gave this lager the time it needed. Since I don't normally drink Heineken I wasn't sure how it turned out. It tasted ok to me. I don't mind the lighter beers but never usually order Heineken. Anyways the moment of truth came last night. I gave her a sample and just said it was my latest beer. She had the usual look on her face and took a quick sip and said a casual 'that's not bad'. As we were trying her homemade wine as well it took her awhile to get to the next sip, but when she took it a funny look came over her face and she looked at me and excitedly yelled out 'O My Gawd It's Heineken!" As I had not told her what it was her reaction validated my whole brewing career so far. I guess the only thing I could compare it to is if I had entered it in competition and got a good score. I not only nailed the style but the exact beer. Of course I have to give Austin Hoomebrew's excellent kits most of the credit, but I still have to brew it right or it doesn't matter how good the ingredients are. The bottom line is that I'm proud right now, after almost a year of many disappointments I feel like I passed a brewing test. Of course I know I still have lots to learn, but it's moments like these that keep me going. I know it wasn't an imperial stout or anything fancy, but to me getting that right means I have all the basics down and I can go on and up from there.

Thanks to lots of people on here for their help, and sorry for the long post.

BH

I know it wasn't an imperial stout or anything fancy, but to me getting that right means I have all the basics down and I can go on and up from there.

BH

This probably validates your skill more so than "something fancy" like an Imperial stout. Stouts have tons of roasted flavors that can cover up off flavors, just like a hoppy IPA could.

Ask her why she cannot appreciate anything other than Heineken. :barf In the future, avoid taking criticism from people like this to heart. Its not your fault they are boring and unadventurous.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

I probably would have given up and not be brewing today if not for this forum.

BH

yeah take this success as a bigger victory over brewing a Huge stout that tastes good. As much as we despise them, these american light lagers are much more difficult to brew well than any 14% RIS or Hopbomb. With lack of flavor, comes lack of walls to hide your imperfections behind. Well done sir.

I had a similar moment of validation.... My wife has never really liked any of my home brew. After going all grain I finally produced a batch that I was proud of. It tasted as good as, if not better, than any commercial craft beer that I have bought from a store or a bar.

I gave her a sip of it and she agreed with me. She said it wasn't just good, but really good and proceeded to pour herself a glass. Now here's where the validation comes in.... after she finished her glass she got up and poured herself another! In the history of ever, that has never happened before. Validation indeed!

By the time she got to the second sip she must've developed the Heineken Headache (tm). That's when she knew....

I keed, I keed :)

On a more serious note, that is quite an accomplishment. Way to go!

Congrats on all the improvements and hope your enjoying the joy...of homebrewing! As to why this girl likes heineken...yeah wierd. hope this is a real close "friend" of yours..But to each their own...I cant take anything in green bottles anymore (becks, mickeys, heini, grolsh)...maybe it was all the mickey 40s to the headpiece
Add some urine to clean ale or lager and see if it's close enough to Heineken.
:mug: to that quote...lol

Congrats on all the improvements and hope your enjoying the joy...of homebrewing! As to why this girl likes heineken...yeah wierd. hope this is a real close "friend" of yours..But to each their own...I cant take anything in green bottles anymore (becks, mickeys, heini, grolsh)...maybe it was all the mickey 40s to the headpiece :mug: to that quote...lol

yeah.. amazing original... :rolleyes:

Back