A question about this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
1 lbs. Muntons Dry Amber
3.5 lbs. Muntons Dry Light
.1875 lbs. Cane Sugar
1 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.9 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.7 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.7 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.125 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 6.6 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss (not included in calculations)
2 teaspoons Gypsum (not included in calculations)
0.25 teaspoons Epsom Salts (not included in calculations)
Wyeast 1968

It is a Boddington's clone that I was planning on brewing tonight. I am not sure about the .1875 lbs of cane sugar. Am I correct in saying that equals 3oz? Also, is this to be added to the boil or is that for the priming?

This is the second recipe for Boddingtons, I found, that has cane sugar in it. It is the first time I've ever used it though. I've got my ingredients lined up and ready to go...I just can't start until I know what to do with this sugar. :eek:

Never tried a Boddington's clone, but this website has the cane sugar and adds it to the boil.

Here's a Forum posting about a Boddington's clone that has some good info too.

Would you want to use US hops with an English beer? It will probably be excellent either way, but if you're going for authenticity I would think the Northern Brewer should be replaced with Fuggles.

And per google
.1875 pounds = 3 ounces

I figured it was for the priming. I found a different recipe for Boddy that used cane for priming. Counting your post, Chris, I've seen four different versions of this clone. I'm certainly not going to get an exact clone in a bottle because of the lack of nitro. I'm just looking for a similiar taste, all four clones seem to fit that bill.

Thanks for the help and links fellas. As soon as I'm done cooking up some burgers I am going to get started. Looks like my grill is about out of gas so I may have to finish on the stove. :mad:

In the meantime, I've got a bit of reading to do on those links.

Thanks again. :mug:

Okan, more questions after reading the link that Chris posted.

The recipe given a few posts down also shows 3oz of cane sugar. In addition, it shows 3/8 cup of brown sugar for priming. Do you think I should just go with this method?

I don't understand exactly what adding the sugar is going to do to your final product, just raise the OG maybe? But if you just mean "should I use cane sugar in the boil and brown sugar for priming" it's up to you, you can use cane sugar for both, or any of the myriad of options (see howtobrew.com for more options). I'm a fan of the carb tabs, so I'd use cane sugar in the boil and then prime with the tabs. That's my understanding... Hope it helps.

Keep us posted on how this turns out, I have some friends that love Boddingtons, it'd be nice to have a decent recipe for it.

So far three recipes have shown boiling the cane with the wort. I always though cane would give a cidery taste. Perhaps these 3oz just give a bit of character. I'll revive this thread when I've had a chance to taste the final product.

I think I'll give the brown sugar a try for priming. Why not, right? :D

Well, I brewed this last night. The night wasn't without a problem though. After i started, I realized that I didn't have any fuggles. :(

Out of necessity I upped the Kent Goldings to .50oz and used .75 oz of Northern Brewer for the 60 minute boil. That was all of the hops I had left. The hop weight was the same in the boil. I just can't believe that I forget to get fuggles. GRRR.

Is there any hope that this batch will still turn out tasty? It smelled good but I didn't sample any. OG was .044. Does that sound about right?

Edit: I should also note that the Northern Brewer has an alpha of 8.0%. This is quite a bit higher than the fuggles. So this should just turn out more bitter, correct?

Back