Can I adjust final gravity by adding more water??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Made my first batch TrueBrew Brown Ale. OG 1.044, after 10 days in primary the gravity is at 1.020. Will not bottle until 2 weeks. Will recheck to make sure fermintation is done, etc.

Here is my question. I started with a little less than 5 gallons of water. Didn't take into consideration the water loss (evaporation) with boiling the wort. If I were to top off to the 5 gallon mark with sterile water, would that change the final gravity?

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

Cheers :mug:

Yes it will. I'm one of those that would rather have the original sized batch I fermented at the correct gravity, rather than dillute my already fermented beer.

This is not the only batch you are ever going to brew, so this little half gallon won't really matter in the long run.

Plus there is always a risk in doing something like this, EVEN if you use sanitized water....

Just enjoy what you got.

What do you typically fill the fermentor to (Im assuming partial boil so adding water at the end) before you pitch? Is it okay to fill to 5.5~5.75 gallon such that after fermentation you will have 5 gallons?

Yes - you definately can add water, but I wouldn't. As has already been said, what you have will be great.

But, the numbers don't look right to me: at 10 days, starting at .044 now at .020 seems like fermentation could have stalled. That's only 54% attenuation.

Unless you mashed really high, or the ferment has been cold, I can't see why it hasn't fermented lower unless it simply isn't done yet..

When taking your hydro readings, did you adjust for the temp of the wort/beer at time of reading?

Maybe I asked this the wrong way: Here is my question

The instructions say the OG should be 1.043 to 1.045, it started at 1.044 - good start!

Final gravity should be 1.010 to 1.012, I'm only sitting at 1.020. Wondering if I top off to the 5 gallon mark with water would that get me down to the suggested FG.

I wouldn't be concerned with getting a full 5 gallons if my FG was correct. I just want the best beer I can make, no matter what volume.

Thanks again for the help.

Was this an extract ?

Reason I ask is if it was extract and you had less water used or evaporated off to much your OG would have been higher than the recipe calls for.

Maybe I asked this the wrong way: Here is my question

The instructions say the OG should be 1.043 to 1.045, I started at 1.044. Final gravity should be 1.010 to 1.012, I'm only sitting at 1.020. Wondering if I top off to the 5 gallon mark with water would that get me down to the suggested FG

Thanks again for the help

I don't think it will taste good.

Dilluting it's not going to get it to your final gravity in a way that will taste good. At 10 days it's not surprising that you are only on the cusp of terminal gravity. Rather than adding water, just swirl the fermenter to bring the yeast back up into suspension and warm the fermenter up a bit. Wrap it in a sleeping bag or blanket. And check back on it in another week.

There's nothing wrong with 1.020, if it's done, it's done...but do what I suggest and take a look later.

Thanks to all for the replies.....I will have to decide what to do. Next time I will be sure to have the full 5 gallons. Will let you know how the final product turns out / tastes. For he record....the sample I tasted when I took my second gravity reading tasted and smelled really good to me.

Thanks to all for the replies.....I will have to decide what to do. Next time I will be sure to have the full 5 gallons. Will let you know how the final product turns out / tastes. For he record....the sample I tasted when I took my second gravity reading tasted and smelled really good to me.

Thats all that matters drink on

What do you typically fill the fermentor to (Im assuming partial boil so adding water at the end) before you pitch? Is it okay to fill to 5.5~5.75 gallon such that after fermentation you will have 5 gallons?

I usually add about 2-3 beer bottles of extra water to the boil. That way the added water is also sanitized. I have been coming up with about 2 cases worth per batch with a little left over, but not what I would consider another beer worth.

Ok so I cut my losses and botlled this just the way it was OG 1.044 FG 1.020. Didn't add any water or adjust the final gravity. I did cut the priming sugar down down to 3.5 oz instead of 5oz. A few weeks after bottling...good carbonation, had a bit of a bite to it but not bad. Tried the following week and the bite is completely gone. Everyone who has tried it has loved it. Very happy with the results. Up next, Belgian Ale which will be bottled this weekend. Thanks to all for the advice.

Cheers

If I were to top off to the 5 gallon mark with sterile water, would that change the final gravity?

Yes, but don't do it!!!! You'll only be FAKING the final gravity. Getting the gravity down to 1.010 by fermenting is not even close to the same thing as adding water to get it down to 1.010.

I believe the yeast was Munton's....as this was my first ever batch of beer I only pitched it dry, and I didn't aerate the wort....will never do that again.

Of course I did hydrate the yeast and aerate the wort on my second batch of beer (Belgian Ale) and have hit all the recommended gravities.

Also have my first batch of Apfelwein going.

I just keep learning and improving....love this hobby. Have about 6 more kits from Northern Brewer I want to brew.

Cheers

I've heard that Munton's is very poor attenuating to compensate for the kits that are one can of LME and a bunch of simple sugar. That explains your high FG

Back