SMaSH help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Alright, I got bit by the bug and need to brew my first AG tonight. I have 10lbs MO and 3oz. Fuggles @ 4%AA for a 5 gal. batch. I need advice! I'd like to make an ordinary bitter with what I have. Any help will be appreciated!

Plugged it into Beersmith and got 7.5 lbs of MO (assume 79% eff.) with 1 oz of Fuggles @ 60, 30, and 0.

You didn't mention yeast, so I assumed Nottingham. I get OG of 1.040 and FG of 1.010.

Good luck.

I'm using WL 007, I'm wanting to use the cake from this batch on a RIS. I'm planning on mashing all 10 lbs. I guess my real question is - what should my hopping schedule look like? Thanks!

This sounds nitpicky, but if you're using 10 pounds of MO, you're not making an ordinary bitter. For a bitter, your OG should be 1.040 or so or under. With 10 pounds of MO, you're making an ESB.

So, if you have an OG of 1.054 (75% efficiency) you could do 2 ounces of fuggles at 60 minutes, and 1 ounce at 15 minutes. That would give you 33 IBUs, barely enough to balance the malt but still within the guidelines of an ESB, and a IBU/SG ratio of .6. Your color will be very light without any crystal, but it'll be a good beer.

This sounds nitpicky, but if you're using 10 pounds of MO, you're not making an ordinary bitter. For a bitter, your OG should be 1.040 or so or under. With 10 pounds of MO, you're making an ESB.

So, if you have an OG of 1.054 (75% efficiency) you could do 2 ounces of fuggles at 60 minutes, and 1 ounce at 15 minutes. That would give you 33 IBUs, barely enough to balance the malt but still within the guidelines of an ESB, and a IBU/SG ratio of .6. Your color will be very light without any crystal, but it'll be a good beer.

I think I'll do that, then. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Alright, I mashed in @ 1.25 quarts/lb, so a total of 12.5 quarts. How much water do I need to sparge with?? I REALLY need to get one of those mash programs. You are all heros!

Alright, I mashed in @ 1.25 quarts/lb, so a total of 12.5 quarts. How much water do I need to sparge with?? I REALLY need to get one of those mash programs. You are all heros!

The easiest way to figure your sparge volume is to determine your boil volume and work backwards. You should get a little over 2 gallons of first runnings- so sparge with whatever you need to get you to your boil volume.

Thanks a ton Yooper!

I think I goofed up on my temps, I guess I'm mashing around 160* :(

We'll see what happens. It's my first AG - it's allowed to suck!

Relax, mashing a couple degrees high isn't going to make it suck. You'll get a little more body, but it'll still be good. If mashing a little high is the only thing that goes wrong on your first AG batch... you're doing pretty well. Good luck, and cheers!

Relax, mashing a couple degrees high isn't going to make it suck. You'll get a little more body, but it'll still be good. If mashing a little high is the only thing that goes wrong on your first AG batch... you're doing pretty well. Good luck, and cheers!

I figured a little RDWHAHB was in order. My pre-boil gravity was 1.034, I'm going to do a 90 min boil to hopefully compensate. Whatever this ends up being, I'm sure it'll at least be drinkable.

All the main software programs have free demos. Download one or more asap. It's not only super useful, they are super fun to play with. I like btp. Congrats on making the jump to AG. My first AG was a little sloppy-about 60% efficiency-but it still turned out one of my best to date.

I boiled it down to 4 gallons with an OG of 1.059. Since I went with a 90 min boil, i did 1 oz Fuggles at 90, 60, and 15. Im excited!

Thanks again for all the help!

Latest posts

Back