Cold or Closet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Over the years I've focused mainly on getting my process right, or working on water chemistry. I've neglected to worry much with the finished product. I usually just bottle condition for 4 weeks at 70ish before putting them in my beer fridge. Well today I was reading a back issue of BYO and they were putting the Porters they had brewed in a closet and forgetting about them for months or even years (up to 3 it said). I've gotten reviews back for judges talking about off flavors and "veggie" tastes from being left out too long at room temp. I did up a porter yesterday that from everything I've read might be a little harsh at first but will mellow out with age. Does this mean age at 70ish in a closet for months or does this mean age in my beer fridge at 45ish for months? I know lagers certainly benefit from being kept cold but what about our ales? When do you put them away and forget about them and when do you go straight to the cooler after its conditioned? Do certain styles do better then others with an extended storage time? :drunk:

Higher gravity beers are better suited for long conditioning. Things like IPA's and wheats should be drank fairly quickly. As for porters, stouts, browns, etc.. I usually bottle/keg them and allow them to sit at least a few months at 65-70F before I touch them. Some of my Stouts condition for a year before I really dig into them.

Back