good prices on kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my LHBS told me that they were getting hard for him to get from his supplier. So, I was thinking, that maybe these things are going to get hard to find, and when that happens, price will go up. What do ya'll think???

I just ordered from Brewer's Discount - very good prices.

As for the other issue, I ate dinner with a guy who works for Pepsi at a wedding this weekend. I mentioned cornelius kegs to him in hopes that he may be a good source for some of them;) . He mentioned that the soda companies are moving to moxes of syrup rather than the 5 gallon kegs which they may be phasing out. If this is true, they will be more difficult to find in the near future.

I just picked up kegs from B&D in Oshkosh, WI last weekend.

$300.00 for 25. That's $12.00 each. They had what looked like thousands of kegs in their yard.

They have a website, but it doesn't mention kegs.

Larry is the president of the company. When I drove up there I met with John. All nice guys to deal with.

It cost me about $80.00 round trip for the fuel. Shipping would have been over $350...saving me another $270. Good deal.:D

The more I look around and the prices to piece meal one together, plus all the other stuff, this looks like a KILLER DEAL!!!! One question, after secondary when I dump in the keg, does the keg have to be kept cold for conditioning?

Ol' Grog - Condition a keg the same way & temperature you would condition a bottle. Most of the time, I go straight to the keg from the fermenter.

I'm impressed with $26.50 for re-conditioned kegs, including a new relief valve and poppets. Most places, you just get new gaskets in that price range. Relief valves are expensive!

Appreciate that David. Just one more thing, your talking about traditional conditioning as in priming with sugar and let set for two weeks, right? What if I wanted to go CO2 conditioning? Could I add the CO2, shake, let set, inject some more, etc. etc. until it has the appropiate volume. Would all those steps have to be in a refrigerated area or can it be done at room temp? The reason for asking is that room is a factor. If I get these two kegs and a chiller that will fit just two kegs, could I be conditioning one more and have it ready when I need it, or store it, at fermenting/bottling temperatures? Or does all the CO2 require cold conditioning???
Thanks.

Ol' Grog said:
Appreciate that David. Just one more thing, your talking about traditional conditioning as in priming with sugar and let set for two weeks, right? What if I wanted to go CO2 conditioning? Could I add the CO2, shake, let set, inject some more, etc. etc. until it has the appropiate volume. Would all those steps have to be in a refrigerated area or can it be done at room temp? The reason for asking is that room is a factor. If I get these two kegs and a chiller that will fit just two kegs, could I be conditioning one more and have it ready when I need it, or store it, at fermenting/bottling temperatures? Or does all the CO2 require cold conditioning???
Thanks.

Cold makes the carbing easier, but it isn't necessary. You just need to apply more psi in a warmer environment - about 20 psi or so for a week should do it. You don't need to shake it either - just makes it happen faster

Just one thing else, I'm about 90% decided. Is there anything else you'd like to see with this kit? Is there something messing? I'd like to have two brews on tap. That's eventually my setup goal. Do I need a manifold or anything? I appreciate your reply's as I'm going into this earlier than I should but at this point in my life I have the money and if I don't spend it, the wife WILL!!!!! It's my turn, dang it!! Boy, this is becoming a fast favorite hangout of mine. May have to "up" my membership.

Ol' Grog said:
Just one thing else, I'm about 90% decided. Is there anything else you'd like to see with this kit? Is there something messing? I'd like to have two brews on tap. That's eventually my setup goal. Do I need a manifold or anything? I appreciate your reply's as I'm going into this earlier than I should but at this point in my life I have the money and if I don't spend it, the wife WILL!!!!! It's my turn, dang it!! Boy, this is becoming a fast favorite hangout of mine. May have to "up" my membership.

The only thing that I don't understand is that they seem to be listing all the tubing together as if you'd use the same for the gas as you would for dispensing. I have 3/16 for the beer side, which makes balancing a bit easier, but I have 5/16 for my gas. I've never seen anyone use 3/16 for gas.

You don't need a manifold for 2 taps, just a splitter. You can do it a couple of different ways. If your tank is inside the fridge, you probably want the one that fits right on the regulator with two shut offs. If you're going to keep the tank outside, you probably want a bulkhead to get the line in the fridge and then split it in-line. You can get a fancy one with shut-offs or a simple splitter.

Has anyone actually called or written these guys. For some reason, my gut is telling me that that's a website that doesn't get updated anymore.

rdwj said:
The only thing that I don't understand is that they seem to be listing all the tubing together as if you'd use the same for the gas as you would for dispensing. I have 3/16 for the beer side, which makes balancing a bit easier, but I have 5/16 for my gas. I've never seen anyone use 3/16 for gas.

You don't need a manifold for 2 taps, just a splitter. You can do it a couple of different ways. If your tank is inside the fridge, you probably want the one that fits right on the regulator with two shut offs. If you're going to keep the tank outside, you probably want a bulkhead to get the line in the fridge and then split it in-line. You can get a fancy one with shut-offs or a simple splitter.

If you want your beers served at different pressures, however, you will need to get a manifold with multiple regulators. For instance, if you have a german lager that you like to serve at 3 vols CO2 and an English Stout that you like to serve at 2 vols CO2, you'll need two different regulators. If you don't care if all your beers are served at the same pressure (like me), you can just get splitters.

Took my fellow Oklahoman's advice and just called them up. They are still in business and the price is still good. He said he was shut down for a little while he moved to the east coast. He, Terry, said that that package is for single keg dispensing. Terry also told me how to set up for dual dispensing just like rdwj said. Guy seemed pretty knowlegeable. All the corny's are pressure tested and cleaned with all new "guts." I'd kind of wanted to go with a duo keg set up, but then asked myself, why? It really doesn't matter to me if I have more than one kind of beer on tap. Having this set up will allow me to have one ready and then one back up. I had thought about two ready and one back up, but it's just me and the wife drinking it and with a 3 year old, it's not like we'll be having a lot of XXX drunken sloppy sex nights!!!!!!!! (man, I MISS that). But, seems I could jump to duo dispensing later on with not much adapting. He did say it may be worth going over to a 10 LBS C02 tank. What do ya'll think???

Boy, the closer I think I am to buying a system at a good price, I find another. There are some differences. Single regulator vs. double regulator. That only comes with one keg. Man, I'm confused now more than ever.

ebrew has a 3 keg system for $175 (or 1 keg for $149) and they are a little more known.

Ol' Grog said:
Boy, the closer I think I am to buying a system at a good price, I find another. There are some differences. Single regulator vs. double regulator. That only comes with one keg. Man, I'm confused now more than ever.
If you keep waiting for the best deal to come around, you'll never get a keg! I put my system together from scratch by buying a couple of used cornies, scoring a regulator on eBay, and leasing the CO2 cylinder from the local welding shop. It probably worked out to just over $100. The eBrew kit sounds nice...go for it!

Your right....just do it already!! OK, do I go with the 3/16 line or the 1/4 inch line? I think the quarter inch.

Back