Novice Level Brewer likes O'Dells 90 Shilling..can I make something similar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch today. Carboy is clean and ready for another batch! My first batch was a brown ale. For batch #2, I'd like to try something different.

First batch was steeping specialty grains plus extract. I'd like to continue with that process.

Do you have a recipe suggestion or kit suggestion for me? Here's why I like Odells 90 Shilling: not too heavy, not too hoppy, and still has personality. Most of the time we drink microbrew porters and stouts. However it was nice to find a beer that was not quite as heavy or assertive but still had character. I apologize that my description isn't very detailed.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Look for a 70/- or 80/- extract recipe. Odell's 90/- is not as assertive as its name lends it to be. If the recipe has peated malt, look elsewhere.

That looks more like a 60/- to me. Just made a 80/- came up with my own recipe if you want it let me know. It came out great but im shure there are others here with better.

90 is closer to an amber than a typical scottish ale imo. Its going to need a lot more hops to fit the american palette than normal shilling types. I remember finding a recipe here once that I thought looked pretty accurate. It was supposed to be from somebody who used to be in the brewery or something.

Starting with a kit sounds like a good idea. I've brewed Midwest's 80/- extract kit several times, and it's yummy. I plan to do their AG kit sometime this winter.....if I ever get all the other stuff I want to drink brewed.

Like said above, it's not really a 90/-, more like a, American Amber. A few months back we tried to make a good clone recipe, and I think this here is the best that we found. I haven't brewed it yet, but I plan to, you just gotta guess on the hop additions timing, and I believe they use their house yeast, which is a neutral ale yeast.

Back