F*kin liberal arts A-holes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry. I'm an engineering student.

Neglected to take a couple bullshat liberal arts classes (something under the headings of "difference power and discrimination" and "cultural diversity") freshman year so I'm working on a history class (DPD) over the summer (also interning full time as a surveyor and it's HOT ~105 today). Totally spaced a BS essay due today. Just finished, when I made that comment I logged on here just long enough to do my little wordless rant thing.

Teacher is a ******, I'll pull a high B or an A in the class with little effort, no book (old syllabus called for wrong book, I'm too stubborn to buy the right one) but I'm pissed that I have to spend $300 and a couple hours a week on a class I'll learn little if anything from. History classes COULD be interesting and informative but the average "academic professor" in the field of liberal arts is so busy making it seem like they actually have a job to do that they don't.

If it makes it any better, I DID marry an artist... and she's a b*tch, not an a-hole ;-)

Cliff: I don't care what your degree is - just be real about how smart or stupid you are. There's no need to write a 10 page paper to say what could be said in 2 sentences.

*I need a beer, I need sleep, I'm dehydrated, I'm hot. Don't mind me...

Ya, well I got my degree in Integrative Physiology and they told me right before graduation that I get a BA instead of a BS. Its retarded.

Learn the basic attitude(s) held by the pinko instructor. Learn the commie buzzwords the left loves so much; like "empowerment" and "social justice" and "fair trade" & other $hit like that. As long as whatever you turn in seems to espouse their beliefs & is (pardon the pun) liberally sprinkled with pinko buzzwords, you'll get a good grade. A buddy of mine turned in nothing but regurgitated crap sprinkled with commie buzzwords for his liberal arts stuff, he passed with a B. I doubt he ever spent more than an hour on any of the papers for that crap. The hardest thing for him was to keep his mouth shut & not let them know his real opinions. Regards, GF.

My biggest issue is that there are minimum word requirements for the essays - ones which in reality should be little more than a paragraph. It's hard to write 700 words about a 2500 word document - especially when you get hammered for using too many quotes.

Hell, in this joke of a class we were required to write a 500 word introduction of ourselves. You have any idea how hard that is?

I know how to write essays for these a-holes, and I consistently get A's on essays for L.A. classes, but the point is - I shouldn't HAVE to write these essays - and if I DO have to take the classes, I should LEARN something.

F*kin busywork in a busywork class. Whatever.

That's a professor problem, not a discipline problem. I've made the same gripe about each discipline over getting two degrees, and it boils down to "The University didn't try harder to keep good instructors around, and is left with crappy ones."

despite how annoying the class is, you're still in college! So after your annoying classes, you still get to do down the street and play beer pong, then go to the bars, and have no real responsibility!! Enjoy that ****! Think that having an annoying professor you disagree with for a quarter is bad, wait till you get the prick boss for several years! I got lucky with a very cool boss, but they are out there!

No offense but those classes are there because if they weren't engineers would be even farther spaced from normal society than we already are. A little liberal education is extremely good for you if you can be open enough to accept it. Also, most of those dumb profs really do know there shat if you show the slightest interest. Remember, it sucks for them to be teaching kids who think their life's passion is BS.

I am a M.E. by the way you civil scum :p

Nearly all the engineers I ever met were arrogant ********. What are we talking about? :eek:

No offense but those classes are there because if they weren't engineers would be even farther spaced from normal society than we already are. A little liberal education is extremely good for you if you can be open enough to accept it. Also, most of those dumb profs really do know there shat if you show the slightest interest. Remember, it sucks for them to be teaching kids who think their life's passion is BS.

See how these two posts gel nicely together? You should listen to Kabouter. ;)

I had no trouble finding classes that interested me that also met the liberal arts requirements for my engineering degree.

Hell, in this joke of a class we were required to write a 500 word introduction of ourselves. You have any idea how hard that is?
Some people write entire books about themselves and you have trouble squeezing out 500 words? Are you really that boring?

Having to deal with the writing skills of engineers everyday at work (I practice patent law) I can tell you that 90% of engineers can't write worth a damn. Trust me, you need all the practice you can get.

When you graduate, writing skills will likely be more important to your career success than your TI89.

Seriously, I'll sink your concrete canoe with projectiles from my trebuchet.

despite how annoying the class is, you're still in college! So after your annoying classes, you still get to do down the street and play beer pong, then go to the bars, and have no real responsibility!! Enjoy that ****! Think that having an annoying professor you disagree with for a quarter is bad, wait till you get the prick boss for several years! I got lucky with a very cool boss, but they are out there!

That might be somewhat true for college . . . but you always have some assignment looming over you, so you're never really free from responsibility. At least most people when they leave work for the day all of their work responsibilities cease for the next 15 hours. Grad school was a million times worse - every moment I wasn't in class there was a soul crushing amount of work to do. When I come home from work now, I say F it and leave my cell phone in my briefcase and just enjoy family stuff until the next day.

That might be somewhat true for college . . . but you always have some assignment looming over you, so you're never really free from responsibility. At least most people when they leave work for the day all of their work responsibilities cease for the next 15 hours. Grad school was a million times worse - every moment I wasn't in class there was a soul crushing amount of work to do. When I come home from work now, I say F it and leave my cell phone in my briefcase and just enjoy family stuff until the next day.

qft...

Engineering school is not the happy place most people equate with college. That was the hardest and most stressful time of my life. Work is a million times better.

Of course, brewing is better than everything. Once it's my job I can die happy...probably happen pretty quickly, at the rate I'm going. Screw college.

But I didn't go to college, except night classes for fun (graphics, animation, writing, business, unix, etc.) so do I have a say here?

Not that it matters. I mean, I'll keep talking, but I'm just wondering if anyone is listening.

This is why I like medicine; say what you have to say as accurately and concisely as possible because no one has time to read BS... At least for medical records that is... research papers are a different story ;)

Of course, brewing is better than everything. Once it's my job I can die happy...probably happen pretty quickly, at the rate I'm going. Screw college.

But I didn't go to college, except night classes for fun (graphics, animation, writing, business, unix, etc.) so do I have a say here?

Not that it matters. I mean, I'll keep talking, but I'm just wondering if anyone is listening.

You deviant you... Seeking success with out the bestowal of status from our learning institutions...
See, liberal arts are useful! I can classify this kind of behavior, not that I can do anything useful with it, at least for me :D.

BK - you would have to pry my Ti-89 from my cold dead hands!

Edit- Yeah, I don't care much for liberal arts either. But hey, might as well enjoy it if you're going to take it. and one last thing. ratemyprofessor.com !

qft...

Engineering school is not the happy place most people equate with college. That was the hardest and most stressful time of my life. Work is a million times better.

I went to engineering school and still managed to have plenty of fun. I also worked 30-40 hours every week while I was in school. Maybe you're just a wuss? :D

Liberal Arts Education is good for one thing and one thing only: The opportunity to bang ditzy female liberal arts coeds.

You don't need to take liberal arts classes for that.

You are finally learning the purpose of the degree. Stay long enough to finish and you have learned how to play the game. You can put up with the bull@@@@ and still fulfill your responsibilities, Congratulations, you may now start your life.

Having to deal with the writing skills of engineers everyday at work (I practice patent law) I can tell you that 90% of engineers can't write worth a damn. Trust me, you need all the practice you can get.

When you graduate, writing skills will likely be more important to your career success than your TI89.

Oh, snap!

J/k...I am an engineer by undergraduate and biochemist by graduate and know the problems. I suck at writing. I get an earful from my boss everyday about. I'm getting better, but 'tis ain't easy.

I can still write better than 90%* of the people on the interwebz, but actually conveying my results into concise, well-flowing script at the behest of my boss and journal reviewers is a work in progress.

*Statistic completely made up. (2009); HomebrewTalk (1)1.

I actually have found that two skills I "naturally" possess have allowed me to excel:

My knowledge of technology and adept understanding of software.

And my writing skills. To be able to vividly describe situations and communicate effectively via e-mail and letter is something that is very beneficial in business.

It surprises me a bit how few people have these skills, but hey! Less competition.

What were we talking about again? Liberal arts? Back home that's defined as "wuss gay"

I actually have found that two skills I "naturally" possess have allowed me to excel:

My knowledge of technology and adept understanding of software.

And my writing skills. To be able to vividly describe situations and communicate effectively via e-mail and letter is something that is very beneficial in business.

It surprises me a bit how few people have these skills, but hey! Less competition.

What were we talking about again? Liberal arts? Back home that's defined as "wuss gay"

Writing skills... Hmmmm....

I was told that four-word sentence fragments were bad form. I was told that starting a sentence with "and" or "but" was a no-no. I guess I'm just a little more old-school. And I'm an engineer (so I'm allowed to start a sentence with "and").

As a Liberal Arts lifer, I had to take science labs and calculus, and I really didn't mind- actually did well in them. Being well-rounded isn't so bad. Your world gets boring without people like us, and our world doesn't work as well without people like you.

I'm an OTA student (still "young" at 28, but I'm 7 years younger than many of my peers. College for students outside of the engineering discipline may be beer pong and ***** but for engineering students it's eat, sh*t, study and occasionally sleep. I study FAR less than most of my peers yet study far MORE than the "average" college student.

Nearly all the engineers I ever met were arrogant ********. What are we talking about? :eek:
I'm an arrogant *******. No getting around that.:rockin:.

Ahh.. a M.E... Ya mean I'll be calling you when I just can't figure it out?

I recognize the value (on paper) behind the classes. There IS value to some of the subject matter covered in L.A. classes, just many professors don't give a crap anymore.

I had no trouble finding classes that interested me that also met the liberal arts requirements for my engineering degree.

Some people write entire books about themselves and you have trouble squeezing out 500 words? Are you really that boring?

While I'm an arrogant *******, I don't feel like sharing much of myself. Part of it, I suppose, is HAVING to share 500 words about myself when frankly I don't want to.

Part of the issue with classes is that 1. Titles and sylibi sometimes lie and 2. I'm graduating next spring, I have 2 L.A. classes on top of my "normal" 16 engineering credits per term.

I went to engineering school and still managed to have plenty of fun. I also worked 30-40 hours every week while I was in school. Maybe you're just a wuss? :D
I know I'm a wuss :D Having a wife and kid while in engineering school (plus just being a ***** to begin with) do that to ya.

I know that the purpose of college is to prove to potential employers that you're "trainable." I'm ok with the fact that I WILL take bullcrap classes. I just wish the professors would TRY to DO SOMETHING rather than regurgitating the crappy slides they have used for years (I have this ***** with engr professors too).

As a Liberal Arts lifer, I had to take science labs and calculus, and I really didn't mind- actually did well in them. Being well-rounded isn't so bad. Your world gets boring without people like us, and our world doesn't work as well without people like you.

Amen, brotha. Well said. I never finished my degree, but I work in an engineering type field. I can understand how people will say that engineers are socially awkward, as I see it everyday. But on the other hand, Liberal types can be as completely disconnected from the world as most people claim that Engineering types are.

I used to work with a bunch of guys who all throw wrenches around, we didn't always have time to recognize each others feelings, and talking out our problems won't get the machine fixed, regardless of what our HR manager says. And if the machine don't get fixed, I don't have a job.

The world isn't all about social problems. But you can't always fix your problems with your hands.

My biggest issue is that there are minimum word requirements for the essays - ones which in reality should be little more than a paragraph. It's hard to write 700 words about a 2500 word document - especially when you get hammered for using too many quotes.

I know how to write essays for these a-holes, and I consistently get A's on essays for L.A. classes, but the point is - I shouldn't HAVE to write these essays - and if I DO have to take the classes, I should LEARN something.

F*kin busywork in a busywork class. Whatever.
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily, while writing papers. It got me through Art History, especially with such gems as Greek Ouzo + Greek Vases = One Hell of a Paper. That one got me a BC.

Why does it seem like college is more about pushing the Professors agendas and opinions and less about educating people. The more I hear about college the happier I am I didn't go.

I guess for some people, I've got minimum college (read no degree) and still work for a federal law enforcement agency. I really can't see how college would have helped. Not to say I didn't do anything between High School and this job, I'm sure the Military helped as much as college would have.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily, while writing papers. It got me through Art History, especially with such gems as Greek Ouzo + Greek Vases = One Hell of a Paper. That one got me a BC.

Now that ya mention it... That's the only way I got through American literature. I'd get a little buzzed, then read what I was supposed to "understand the hidden meaning" behind. Then I'd get a little more drunk and write a paper. The next morning, I'd get up early and fix the grammatical mistakes that are inevitable when you're drunk typing. To be honest though, I loved that class because the teacher gave a crap. She loved the bullcrap I wrote even though it was garbage ("best she'd ever seen apparently").

So there's an extra credit assignment... I'll do it because I plan on majorly slacking on the final paper (another joke).... What follows is the text of the extra credit assignment link.

This is your only opportunity for extra credit in this class, and it is worth 10 points. In order to earn the 10 points, you must compose a 500 word essay that reviews and examines an historical website. Please make that the website is not an online encyclopedia. If you use an online encyclopedia then you will not get any credit. Similar to all essays in this class it must be word-processed and formatted according to the guidelines under the writing as an historian link.
Here are the steps to complete this assignment. First, find a historical website—not Wikipedia—that deals with a person, issue, or theme covered in this course. You are limited to the time period covered in the course. It can be anything that interests you about U.S. history during the relevant time period. Make sure you pick something that is specific to the United States; remember this is a U.S. history course.
Second, find a website that you like which contains a significant amount of information about your subject. You must record the Uniform Resource Locator (URL aka. Web address) since it will appear in your review of the website. While at the website click around on the links and read the information. You do not want to absorb everything, but you want to be familiar with the web source.
Third, you must compose your 500 word essay reviewing the website. In this review you must write-out the websiteÕs name and URL. In addition, you must give a brief summary of the website and it content. You need to tell me how easy the website was to navigate, noting any improvements or cool innovations. The last part in this step is to critique the reliability of the website. Is the information credible? Why? Why not? What are some key indicators of credibility for a website?
Fourth, submit the essay to Taylor by the due date. There is no extended submission deadline for this assignment. Therefore, it is important that you submit the assignment to me at the correct time. Furthermore, you must submit it in the correct format (Rich Text) and in the correct area (Written Assignments) link in order to receive credit. I will not accept any extra credit that is submitted via e-mail or that is submitted incorrectly.

Really? Someone defend this - PLEASE! Tell me how this is a valuable learning tool...

Note again that I'm not whining about taking a history class - I'm whining about lazy instructors that do nothing but push their own agendas. This instructor happens to be an afro american who's done a lot of research and such on black suffrage... guess what the focus of the course has been?

This is very true. I am an engineer too. Technical Writing & Public Speaking are two prominent weakness of most engineers.

Being good at both will help you a lot in the work place.

I'd try to take either of these two classes if they are available as Liberal Arts credits.

:mug:

Back