Do I like hoppy or malty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csh8428

Reaction score
I tend not to like the strong taste of most ales. I can usually only drink 1 pint and and am usually disliking the taste quite a bit about 3/4 done. I do appreciate these beers and wished I liked them because there is such a wide range of flavors. I like just about every lager and most bocks.

Do I like hoppy, malty, or some other attribute?

Thanks,

Craig

do you not like the piney, citrusy, floral notes of the ales? if so, that is hops.
give us some beers you like/hate and we can narrow it in a little more.
if you like bocks and lagers it is most likely not the malt you dislike. it will be either the hops or the ale yeast character.

Interesting point. I tend to say I like malty as a rebuttal to the over hopped brigade. In reality I love a good balance. It's like we have to take sides on this!

Here's a thought. pick a beer that you do like ,then google it.
Go to the brewers site and read the flavor info. It will give you a better idea of which type you like.

do you not like the piney, citrusy, floral notes of the ales? if so, that is hops.
give us some beers you like/hate and we can narrow it in a little more.
if you like bocks and lagers it is most likely not the malt you dislike. it will be either the hops or the ale yeast character.

Yes that would be the taste I don't like

Like:
Yuengling
Amber Bock
Corona
Amstel
Guiness

Ales I like
Fat Tire
Newcastle
Killians

Can only take 1 pint of:
Chimay
Ommegang 3 philosophers
Allagash
Can ya tell I tend to stick to HG beers?.. LOL
Tjere are others, but those have the strongest emphasis on that taste I was attempting to describe.

On a side note, a trip to Belgium and drinking Chimay was what got me started on beer.

When I think of lagers, I'd generally say they're not overabundantly malty or hoppy. So I'd agree that you'd probably prefer to stay more with a balanced beer that doesn't have too high of an alcohol content.

I'd consider Chimay and 3 Philosophers to be pretty malty beers, but it also looks like you might just not like Belgians all that much.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's mostly the hop bitterness that you don't like (as opposed to hop flavor and aroma). I could see one getting sick of a high(er) IBU beer 3/4 the way through because of the bitterness.

I'd have to disagree on the hops being the problem, or even the malt. It seems to me that you don't like the yeast profile of belgian beers.

Mr Shake is correct. Those aren't hoppy Belgians, but they're Belgians. Note also that Chimay, Allagash and Yuengling aren't beers, they're breweries, and they make multiple beers each.

I think Shake is onto something... From their list of beers they like, it seems like it is the well-balanced, lighter beers. Not too malty, not too hoppy. Perfectly balanced. On the dislikes, they do all seem to be Belgians. I too think that yeast is probably the number one cause for you not liking those beers. If you're getting into homebrewing, but don't know what to go for, just stick to the very clean fermenting yeasts such as WLP001. This will allow you to make a balanced beer without any hints of yeast flavor in the finished product.

Mr Shake is correct. Those aren't hoppy Belgians, but they're Belgians. Note also that Chimay, Allagash and Yuengling aren't beers, they're breweries, and they make multiple beers each.

Correction:
Yuengling traditional
Chimay Blue, Red, and white
Allagash trippel
Fat tire Fat tire

I think Shake is onto something... From their list of beers they like, it seems like it is the well-balanced, lighter beers. Not too malty, not too hoppy. Perfectly balanced. On the dislikes, they do all seem to be Belgians. I too think that yeast is probably the number one cause for you not liking those beers. If you're getting into homebrewing, but don't know what to go for, just stick to the very clean fermenting yeasts such as WLP001. This will allow you to make a balanced beer without any hints of yeast flavor in the finished product.

Thanks for the info :)

Back