ideal fermentation temp for Selection Original Merlot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H22W

Reaction score
We have this WineExpert kit, as typical the directions seem a bit generic. I am wondering what your thoughts are regarding the ideal fermentation temperature.

In case it makes any difference, our plans are to start it this week, bulk age in secondary for several months, bottle in the fall, and consume towards the beginning of 2014.

If you have any other tips of how to make the best with equipment: We have a typical brewing setup, O2 equipment, and fermentation chamber.

Thanks!

Inner10 said:
I start my wines around room temp (70-73) for a nice rapid primary fermentation. Then I move them down the basement where it's closer to 65 to age.

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/EC1118_Yeast.pdf

Are you talking ambient air temp in low 70s, that could put the activity fermenting wine near 80 right? Internal temperature in upper 70s is what I would want to maintain for primary fermentation?

What characteristics will be accentuated at low 70s v.s. high 70s, or maybe that degree of precision makes no noticeable difference?

Are you talking ambient air temp in low 70s, that could put the activity fermenting wine near 80 right? Internal temperature in upper 70s is what I would want to maintain for primary fermentation?

What characteristics will be accentuated at low 70s v.s. high 70s, or maybe that degree of precision makes no noticeable difference?

That yeast strain has a huge temperature range- 55-85 degrees or something like that!

I normally just use room temperature, unless it's particularly hot as in late summer. It's pretty good at 65-75 in my experience, and I use that strain quite often.

I don't have a thermometer on my primaries so I really couldn't tell us how much heat is generated during fermentation. But I'd assume your assumption is pretty accurate.

Put it this way...I don't go to any great lengths to control the temp I ferment in.

Thanks for the replies! Nice to know this yeast is so flexible.

We ended up making this Friday night setting it to hold at 74-F. Returned from weekend travels on Sunday morning to find a vigorous healthy fermentation!

Latest posts

Back