Can i use copper graded for 150 deg. In wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcodd87

Reaction score
Ok, so my next task is to buy supplies and build a wort chiller. Local hardware store says they have 25' of refrigeration tubing for a very cheap price. BUT, they said it is not rated for higher than 150 degrees. Now I'm thinking that because I will be running cold water through the copper, it will be ok.

Has anyone used copper similar to this?

I wouldnt worry about it, coppers melting point is almost 2000f so your boiling wort isnt even coming close to hurting it.

Never heard of copper tubing with a temperature rating. Are you sure that's not a maximum pressure rating?

You sure they didn't mean 150 PSI instead? Copper doesn't have a temp rating for refrigeration that i know of. 150 F is completely different from 150 PSI. As to your chiller question, you'll be fine. I use the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize mine.

Well I may have a little bit of more info, I went to the store and read the package.

Resists temperatures up to 150 degrees
•not a temperature rating

Well I may have a little bit of more info, I went to the store and read the package.

Resists temperatures up to 150 degrees
•not a temperature rating

That's referring to using it as it's intended, as a presurized closed system. That doesn't apply when using it to make a chiller.

Yeh when I called initially, the clerk told me it had a temp rating. After seeing it, I could have smacked the guy upside the head

Now question, I'm not too familiar with plumbing or anything of that nature.

If I'm going with a 3/8 25' copper tubing, I plan on buying plain hose to go with it (no garden hose). I then plan on buying the individual fittings to connect to the copper tubing and the sink.

If I'm buying the 3/8 copper, what size hose, should I go with 1/2'' hose or stick with the same diameter, I want it so that the copper will slide inside the hose, then I will fit it together.

Well if the copper is 3/8 OD then you'll need something that is 3/8 ID so i would think a 1/2 OD hose would be about that size and would work fine.

Well if the copper is 3/8 OD then you'll need something that is 3/8 ID so i would think a 1/2 OD hose would be about that size and would work fine.

Hose size is normally called out by the ID, so 3/8 ID hose is what you want. The OD of the hose will determine the pressure rating, but do we really want to go there again?

Hi

Consider that you really aren't going to get a lot of water through 3/8 OD copper tube (unless you are at 5100 psi :D:D). That's a mighty small hole running down the middle of it. More water = more cooling = job done sooner.

Bob

My chiller is 1/4" tubing and it works just fine. I do have relatively cold water year round, but if your water is warm (>70F) in the summer, you'll need a pre-cooler or some ice for the final chilling.

Back