Johnson A419 help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
I know there is probably an answer to this question somewhere in the forum, and if so, I apologize for posting again, but I couldn't find one exactly relating to my issue.

I just bought a chest freezer today, and have hooked it up to my Johnson A419 controller. I set the SP at 36, as I want to do a cold crash, and I set the differential at 3, AntiSD at 12. When I plugged the freezer into the controller, and the controller to the wall, nothing happened. And yes, the probe is in the freezer :D. The freezer didn't kick on at all. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to cool the freezer first?

Please help...

Does the green LED on the Johnson come on at all? If it does, which means that the controller is applying power to the freezer, then maybe your freezer temp. control is not set low enough, or else the freezer is broken. If the LED doesn't come on, then remove the front cover from the Johnson and check the jumper settings on the PC board. My Johnson controller came with the jumpers already correctly preset for cooling, but maybe yours didn't, or one has fallen off in shipment.

Got it working. Turns out since the Asd was set for 12 minutes, it was going to wait that long before it started working which threw me off. I set it down to 1 until it got cold, then back up to 12. Works great now! Thanks.

Got it working. Turns out since the Asd was set for 12 minutes, it was going to wait that long before it started working which threw me off. I set it down to 1 until it got cold, then back up to 12. Works great now! Thanks.
I just got mine installed yesterday and am still playing with the settings. The default for the ASd is 1 minute. What is the advantage of setting it higher?

I just got mine installed yesterday and am still playing with the settings. The default for the ASd is 1 minute. What is the advantage of setting it higher?

Less cycling of the compressor, saving wear on the freezer.

Less cycling of the compressor, saving wear on the freezer.
At first I thought the ASd was just a delay after a power outage, but now I see it's the "minimum interval between the compressor start and stop." And that it over-rides the temperature differential. So, I guess you could set your temperature differential smaller and still have the ASd to prevent excessive cycling even on really hot days. The only negitive is that you'll get an unpredictable temperature drop. Not too bad in a kegerator, but not good for a fermenator.

At first I thought the ASd was just a delay after a power outage, but now I see it's the "minimum interval between the compressor start and stop." And that it over-rides the temperature differential. So, I guess you could set your temperature differential smaller and still have the ASd to prevent excessive cycling even on really hot days. The only negitive is that you'll get an unpredictable temperature drop. Not too bad in a kegerator, but not good for a fermenator.

You have to realize though... the temp. of 5 gallons of fermenting wort isnt going to change that much in 12 minutes. I mean, I would think the temp. change would be immeasurable. Too much thermal mass. I dont see a problem with creating a large ASd

You have to realize though... the temp. of 5 gallons of fermenting wort isnt going to change that much in 12 minutes. I mean, I would think the temp. change would be immeasurable. Too much thermal mass. I dont see a problem with creating a large ASd
You're right. I wasn't thinking about the thermal mass, just ambient temperature. This would be most important after you added a few warm kegs. The ambient air would be fluctuating (and resulting in compressor cycling) until the beer stabilize at the set temperature.

Back