Bev-Seal series 235 tubing (3/16" inner diameter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
Hello,

I just set up my kegorator a month ago and I've been on the search since then for tubing that will not give an off-flavor to the beer after it sits in it. I don't pull the tap every day and so beer will be sitting in the lines sometimes for a long period of time (depending on how many kegs I have on tap)

According to this post by Kal the Bev-Seal flushable Glass-Flex tubing is the best stuff. It is made so you could theoretically flush root-beer out of the lines, put on a lager and not taste the difference. It gives no off-flavors to the beverage etc.

Kal's post

I found two companies that will sell this tubing to me.... in 1000' lengths. I really don't have a use for 1000' of this tubing, I probably would use 50' total for my system. The pricetag for 1000' is $173 so it's actually really really good price per foot.

I was wondering how many people would want to get in on a buy of tubing like this. I could buy this and then re-sell most of it and try to not be left with hundreds of extra feet of the stuff. Would there be any interest in this? I would probably do 25 cents a foot plus shipping to cover the boxes/time etc.

At that price I can take maybe 100 feet off your hands. I think it would be a good idea to have some beverage tubing on hand for future projects of if I just want to junk the old tubing in a few years.

I'd be interested in like 25 or 50 feet myself. You could probably stuff quite a lot of it in those priority mail flat rate boxes, to keep shipping reasonable.

Are you absolutely sure you can get Kuritec/Kuriyama Bev-Seal Ultra 235 tubing in 3/16" size?

When I called around distributors and suppliers back in late 2007, a couple of places said they had it in 500 or 1000 foot spools but none of them ever came through.

I finally called Kuritec - they're in the same Canadian province as me:

Kuri Tec Corporation • Phone: 1-519-753-6717 • Fax: 1-519-753-7737 • 140 Roy Blvd., Brantford, ON, N3R 7K2

I spoke with their engineers and they told me that they have NEVER made Bev-Seal Ultra 235 in 3/16" size. It's a typo on their website. There's simply no demand for anything that small in diameter.

You may want to give them shout to double check, but I doubt things have changed in last 4-5 months.

Kal

P.S. If you do actually get some, I'd limit orders to 100' or at least 50' minimums. The price is so cheap that there's really no point in shipping out less than that.

I did get price quotes from two different distributors, talked on the phone with them about sizing etc. Thus the 1000' length only stuff. I would get the stuff in my hands before actually trying to sell any of it here. I just can't justify spending the $173 plus shipping before even finding out if there would be enough interest to try.

It is possible that the distributors I talked to are just checking their website/literature and propagating the typo you are talking of. And if so I'll probably go with some BevLex tubing that is supposed to be pretty good (though not as good as the Bev-Seal stuff) And that I can get in 100' roll from Midwest Beverage for $28.

I think I will limit it to 50' lengths if I can get it. Also I think you mentioned that this stuff is going to be stiffer than vinyl so we'd all just need to make sure we had good hose clamps on our connections.

conpewter said:
I did get price quotes from two different distributors, talked on the phone with them about sizing etc. Thus the 1000' length only stuff. I would get the stuff in my hands before actually trying to sell any of it here. I just can't justify spending the $173 plus shipping before even finding out if there would be enough interest to try.

Again, this is what I did as well, but I hit so many dead ends with finding anyone that could actually get the stuff. They all said they could, and quoted prices, but nothing ever surfaced. So I finally just called the company directly (for information only as they don't sell to consumers) and found out that it doesn't exist and never has.

conpewter said:
It is possible that the distributors I talked to are just checking their website/literature and propagating the typo you are talking of. And if so I'll probably go with some BevLex tubing that is supposed to be pretty good (though not as good as the Bev-Seal stuff) And that I can get in 100' roll from Midwest Beverage for $28.
The BevLex stuff was no better than any of the other vinyl stuff I tried.
See my post 3 posts later in thread you linked to in the first post in this thread. Direct link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=594275&postcount=47

You might as well just use any old regular food grade vinyl hose from a local homebrew/wine place. Don't pay extra to have it shipped. It was no different than the other 3/16" vinyl line I tried.

Actually, I'm surprised you even started this post as you originally posted in my thread 3 days ago saying that you were going to buy 500' of BevSeal and wanted to know if anyone was interested in sharing. I responded the same day with the exact same information here indicating that the stuff doesn't exist... but you don't seem to be reading my posts as you started this new thread with the same info anyway! ;)

Kal

conpewter said:
I think I will limit it to 50' lengths if I can get it. Also I think you mentioned that this stuff is going to be stiffer than vinyl so we'd all just need to make sure we had good hose clamps on our connections.
Yes, it's actually a pain to work with and leaks easily if you don't have good sharp barbed ends (even if you use clamps).

3/16" gives a tighter seal than 1/4" because you have to heat it up by dipping the end in boiling water and then quickly shove it onto a 1/4" barbed end, all the time being careful not to bend it too much to cause weak spots. Kind of a pain.

(I tested with other 3/16" ID poly line to make sure I could do it before looking to buy the BevSeal 3/16" stuff).

Probably the best way to do it would be to use 3/16" to 1/4" barbed reducers and use short little pieces of 1/4" poly BevSeal along with longer pieces of 3/16" BevSeal. OR given the sort distances of the 1/4" hose, you could probably also just use a couple of 4" pieces of 3/16" vinyl. Not much beer would be in contact with such a short piece of vinyl.

Kal

Wow Kal you really did get into this deep. I am sorry I had not gotten back to that thread and read more about your search for 3/16". I had always assumed if someone offers to sell me something that they could actually get it but it seems like they are all working off false information. I apologize for not reading back on that thread and seeing your answer to my post.

I also appreciate your comment on BevLex tubing. I still need to figure out what I want to use for myself though. Was Simgo able to give you a shorter stretch of tubing than their listed 500' roll (for the 1/4" ID Bev-Seal)? I am thinking I may use the 1/4" and 15' of hose (since I generally do keep my regulator set at 10-12 psi).

conpewter said:
I also appreciate your comment on BevLex tubing. I still need to figure out what I want to use for myself though. Was Simgo able to give you a shorter stretch of tubing than their listed 500' roll (for the 1/4" ID Bev-Seal)? I am thinking I may use the 1/4" and 15' of hose (since I generally do keep my regulator set at 10-12 psi).
Yup. You can buy it by the foot at Simgo.com. $0.21/foot CDN (US <-> CDN exchange rate is more or less on par). No idea if they actually do ship to the US.

Simgo.com is actually a distributor for resellers but they do also sell to customers if you ask. You have to call, there's no ordering online. In Canada shipping is dirt cheap even for large orders (I've never paid more than $7 for a large box) and it always arrives the next day for me as I'm in the same province.

Their prices are typically 1/2 of what you'd pay at resellers of beer equipment.

If they won't sell to the US, call up Kuritek and find out who their distributors are and then bug them for places that sell BevSeal tubing.

Kal

kal said:
Probably the best way to do it would be to use 3/16" to 1/4" barbed reducers and use short little pieces of 1/4" poly BevSeal along with longer pieces of 3/16" BevSeal. OR given the sort distances of the 1/4" hose, you could probably also just use a couple of 4" pieces of 3/16" vinyl. Not much beer would be in contact with such a short piece of vinyl.

Kal

Kal, do you sill believe this is the best way to go?

is anyone selling 3/16" swivel fittings for the ball lock couplings? or should I just heat up my bev-seal in hot water and ram it onto the 1/4 barb?

-= Jason =-

Are you absolutely sure you can get Kuritec/Kuriyama Bev-Seal Ultra 235 tubing in 3/16" size?

When I called around distributors and suppliers back in late 2007, a couple of places said they had it in 500 or 1000 foot spools but none of them ever came through.

I finally called Kuritec - they're in the same Canadian province as me:

Kuri Tec Corporation • Phone: 1-519-753-6717 • Fax: 1-519-753-7737 • 140 Roy Blvd., Brantford, ON, N3R 7K2

I spoke with their engineers and they told me that they have NEVER made Bev-Seal Ultra 235 in 3/16" size. It's a typo on their website. There's simply no demand for anything that small in diameter.

You may want to give them shout to double check, but I doubt things have changed in last 4-5 months.

I'm sure you are aware by now, but I thought I would post this for those searching the forum for this stuff. The Bev-Seal Ultra is available in 3/16" ID all over the place. Maybe they started making it after you originally did your research.

Farmhouse Brewing Supply 50 ft/$16
Birdman Brewing Supply 100 ft/$39.99 (delivered)

Kal, do you sill believe this is the best way to go?
Your question's a bit open ended. You quoted a whole bunch of statements I wrote.

Using barrier tubing is what I'd recommend for anyone who wants to reduce taint.

Most bar trunk line is all barrier. 3/16" vinyl is often used for the last 5-8 feet as a restrictor line.

YMMV.

Kal

kal are you using poly line right now? how much length did you need?

kal are you using poly line right now? how much length did you need?
I'm currently in the middle of building a new basement brewery/bar (we moved) and will indeed be using poly line with barrier again (in this case a pre-built/wrapped trunk line with 8 product lines and 2 glycol lines). Likely about 10-15 feet worth. For complete gory details with pictures see the link in my signature.

How much length you need depends on the serving pressure, tubing inner diameter, height differential, and possibly other factors I'm forgetting. There are a number of online calculators that will tell you what you need for your situation.

Kal

Back