MotoGP is way more exciting than NASCAR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's not as popular since you can't sell cars this way and you don't get fiery crashes ;)

Kai

Kaiser said:
I guess it's not as popular since you can't sell cars this way and you don't get fiery crashes ;)

Kai

It's always baffled me that there are people out there that actually buy cars, and think they're getting something similar to what their NASCAR hero is driving.

Most of the crashes aren't fiery, but they are spectacular! This year MotoGP has two US venues!:mug:

[YOUTUBE]VeYqMurazkI[/YOUTUBE]

800px-F1_logo.svg.png

ralfschumacher_rubensbarrichello_melbourne_2002_1024.jpg

I've have always loved GP. Personally think it is the motorsport requiring the highest level of skill. Just my $.02.

MotoGP is the tits for sure, even though the technicals have gotten so evolved, I am just afraid it may just follow the path of F1, which is now so complex, mega-expensive.
Onboard cameras!
Tire technology - can sustain upwards of 63 deg. leaning angles!

The agility displayed by the riders in the 250 cc class, on light machines is just amazing. too bad they are two-stroke... I think you can buy a Honda NRS250-something near-race bike in Japan as a street ride.

I wish F1 would just drop refueling, dangerous, costly, and bad sport IMO.

erohver said:
It's always baffled me that there are people out there that actually buy cars, and think they're getting something similar to what their NASCAR hero is driving.
NASCAR has truly bastardized stock car racing. There used to be a saying, "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday," meaning that the winning stock car of a weekend race would be a big seller the following week. That was in a time when stock car racing meant that the cars on the track actually had to have a limited production run that was to be sold to the public. Now, there are so many rules and regulations that the cars on the "stock car" circuit aren't even remotely stock. They are tubular framed, fully caged, highly tuned specialty cars that are meant to turn in only one direction.

Let's get back to true stock car racing! Sure, you can install a fuel cell, roll cage, and some other safety features, but I want to see a STOCK CAR race!

Oh yeah, MotoGP is pretty sweet, too!

I love me some MotoGP. I just hope that someone will be able to beat the Ducati's Marlboro Team this year. Hopefully it will be Repsol Honda :)

Hayden did well at Jerez, we'll see what happens at Qatar. EDIT: Qatar 9 MAR 08 @ 6pm EST on the Speed Channel

I like watching NASCAR, F1 and LeMans too. Goodbye football, hello racin' :rockin:

beergears said:
what's next Goped racing..?!!?

Hey Mule, you missed World SuperBike this week-end in Qatar...! Five riders are on the pace, should make for an interesting season.
I have to tap into the World Superbike schedule. I normally have to battle the SWMBO and kids for TV time.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Watching old people die is better than watching NASCAR.

I was reading this thread trying to come up with my best smartass ____ is better than watching NASCAR, but I think that will do. :mug:

I would invite any non-Nascar fan to go to a race. It's just different when you're there. Unless you're a crazy fan, watching it on TV can make for a good nap..... Don't bring your young children. Bring your cooler and ear plugs. Good times.

Someone told me that there was a race where the drivers had to pull a boat or a camper or somesuch. I guess it ended up being more like a demolition derby than a race. I'd definately watch that!

Destruction is good.

MotoGP is phenomenal. SBK is also amazing. I love the fact that the MotoGp riders are so good at wringing everything possible out of their bikes and tires that this year, after dropping the max displacement by 20%, guys were already on pace with last season's times in the pre-season practice days.

Sadly, I haven't seen a single race this season. Stupid not having cable.

I don't get to go to the races anymore, like I did when I lived in CA, and I sure miss AMA Superbike at Laguna Seca, as well as WSBK. I'm also not a full lineup cable subscriber so I don't have the Speed channel to watch reruns of MotoGP or WSBK:( .

I do get to download MotoGP races as soon as 2-3 hours after the race though! Gotta love Miro....

ma2brew said:
I do get to download MotoGP races as soon as 2-3 hours after the race though! Gotta love Miro....

Oh, Miro. Interesting
Just installed on my Ubuntu machine.

Do you have access to full-length races (until they're pulled off, maybe)..??

beergears said:
Oh, Miro. Interesting
Just installed on my Ubuntu machine.

Do you have access to full-length races (until they're pulled off, maybe)..??
The Pirate Bay is your friend:)

ETA: If you're into TV shows and would like to get those you can use Miro to get the show torrents with RSS. Look on tvRSS for the program you like, and click on the link for the show. on the resulting page right above the results is a line that has a link for the "Search-Based RSS Feed". Right click that link, select copy link, and go back into Miro, where you'll go to the Channels menu and select Add Channel. Paste the RSS link in that dialog box and click on the OK button. You're now set to start receiving the latest episode of your favorite shows, that is if someone else out there like the program enough to seed a torrent...

Bedlam said:
Someone told me that there was a race where the drivers had to pull a boat or a camper or somesuch. I guess it ended up being more like a demolition derby than a race. I'd definately watch that!

Destruction is good.

That's called Trailer Racing and sometimes it's shown on Speed during the slow weekend hours, usually with a million Lucas Oil commercials......well, when Speed isn't showing NASCAR. :rolleyes: They even had a combine destruction derby a few weeks ago.

But yeah, NASCAR? I am completely uninterested in any of it that took place after some time in the late '60s.

I worked on the NASCAR circuit last year with a company that installs and runs the onboard cameras and the wireless cameras that follow the talent around into the pits to do interviews.

It is totally different in person. However it can be mind numbingly loud and the fact that they refuse to use rain tires gets really old.

You have to look at NASCAR beyond the oval aside from the fact that they do road courses as well. It is a brilliant usage of marketing and product placement. There is so much money involved that it boggles the mind. The TV compound alone rivals the superbowl and there's I believe 35 of them. Our in car cameras are actually positioned directly at the sponsors stickers. The fact that it makes for amazing TV is just a bonus :)

Aside from driving in circles most of the time, I think the fact that NASCAR has become so money-soaked and sponsor-centered is another reason some of us are turned off by it. It's not about the racing anymore.

Back to MotoGP...

I grabbed the entrants' list (with extra note about livery/main "visual" sponsor, helmet colors - I hate it when I cannot visually identify who's who, early on...)

Fiat Yamaha -- "FIAT" yellow
46 Valentino Rossi B
48 Jorge Lorenzo M h: sliver

Tech 3 Yamaha M -- yellow+dark blue "Wudy"
5 Colin Edwards
52 James Toseland h: red blue white

Marlboro Ducati B -- "Marlboro" red
1 Casey Stoner
33 Marco Melandri h: orange+black

Alice Team Ducati B -- "Alice" red
50 Sylvain Guintoli
24 Toni Elias

Repsol Honda M -- "Repsol"
2 Dani Pedrosa
69 Nicky Hayden

Gresini Honda B -- "Castrol" "San Carlo" white+red
3 Alex d'Angelis
56 Shinya Nakano h: big blue eyes

LCR Honda M -- "TS Vision", white+orange
14 Randy de Puniet

JIR Team Scot Honda M --"Escor", sliver+green
4 Andrea Dovizioso

Rizla Suzuki B -- "Rizla" blue
65 Loris Capirossi h: Rizla blue
7 Chris Vermeulen h: yel

Kawasaki Racing Team B -- K green
21 John Hopkins
13 Ant West h: stars, white cross

beergears said:
Back to MotoGP...

46 Valentino Rossi B

5 Colin Edwards
52 James Toseland h: red blue white

1 Casey Stoner
33 Marco Melandri h: orange+black

2 Dani Pedrosa
69 Nicky Hayden

14 Randy de Puniet

65 Loris Capirossi h: Rizla blue
7 Chris Vermeulen h: yel

21 John Hopkins
Damn that's a bunch of guys that can ride the wheels off a bike. I'd watch just to see one or two of these guys I clipped from the list, but all of 'em? It's gonna be a great season to spectate!

I know it's SBK, not GP, but did anybody see Biaggi's crash at Philip Island? I missed it when it happened, but saw the clip on YouTube. All I can say is damn... Apparently he was doing ~150 when he hit the asphalt.

Saw it.

He got pitched hard , landed, and slid for a long time (speed) into the gravel/grass.

Main thing was that the bike started tumbling big time and sort of spun over him while he was resting..
There were a few other high-speed get-offs if I recall.

Could have been real bad...
[youtube]zaJNnKfDySY[/youtube]

Yeesh. His leathers were just in tatters, hanging from his back. Didn't he crash out of both races last weekend?

Back