what think you of this recipe for stiegl/shandy like clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
this is for a five gal all grain batch

8 lbs base two row german malt
.75 lbs dextrine
.5 lbs 15L car pils
1 oz cascade hop bitter 60 min boil 4.5 % alpha
1/2 oz Centennial Hops flavor 10 min boil 9% alpha
1/2 oz Centennial Hops aroma 2 min boil 9% alpha

yeast white labs california ale wlp001

Should I add 1/2 cup lemon juice or not.

don't add lemon juice turned out awesome on third batch to end summer.:mug:

I like the idea of the hops but if you want the true flavor of a German Radler you need to go with something like this:

9 lbs of pilsner malted grain
1 lb gambrinus honey malt
.25 lbs of weyermann carahell

1 oz german perle at 60
1 oz saaz at 30
1 oz saaz at 15
1 tab of whirlfloc at 5

Yeast: use saflager or Wyeast #2278 (czech pils)

if you want a more hybrid type of beer add 3 lbs of honey with 5 mins left in the boil (ames farm honey)

Once you get this completed and fermentation is over, rack to secondary and add golden grapefruit juice...if you cannot find any, next best thing is to buy golden grapefruits and juice them...even put rind into the secondary. Taste and adjust per your liking and document everything as you could come up with a gem here!!!!
Until we manage to attain more info on the actual procedure for this, I would avoid lemon lime from the grapefruit until we get more info...or better yet....try it out on a second batch =) its what home brewing is all about

The reason behind the choice in hops and juice is due to the historical nature of the Radler 2% ABV / 60-40 ratio of grapefruit soda to beer maybe 50-50 at the very least...the grapefruit flavor does not come from the beer. The Germans wanted something light in booze and something refreshing that they could drink for hours on end in the summer.

i also researched someone adding in grapefruit soda mixed with New Belgium's rolle bolle summer beer so if you can find a recipe for the rolle bolle, you might have found the american way for a grapefruit radler

Back