SodaStream'd my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big1show

Reaction score
I wanted to taste my beer as I was bottling it, I have a soda stream and naturally, I had to try it!
Worked GREAT!

I put two 1L bottles threw, and refrigerated them and I had beer the same day!

It got a little messy, but after the first trail I figured it out. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a soda stream just for this reason, because kegging equipment is almost the same price. But If you already have a SS give it a try and tell me what you think!

I wanted to taste my beer as I was bottling it, I have a soda stream and naturally, I had to try it!
Worked GREAT!

It got a little messy, but after the first trail I figured it out. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying a soda stream just for this reason, because kegging equipment is almost the same price. But If you already have a SS give it a try and tell me what you think!

Instead of SodaStream, you could just charge your beer with CO2 from your kegerator like this.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Re-charge-your-Flat-2-Liter-Sodas/

i have attempted to soda stream beer from a growler, it worked aside fromt he explosion upon removal from soda stream. How do you minimize explosion?

You can't charge your beer to soda carbonation levels - soda has something like 3X the carbonation of beer. If you do charge beer like soda then you will always have a mess. Problem is I don't believe that SodaStream has an adjustable carbonation level, at least not one that will go low enough for beer.

Instead, follow the link I sent to you but set your CO2 regulator to 15 PSI instead of 40 PSI.

Worked GREAT!

What technique did you use not to blow beer all over the kitchen? I did try this once and MAN what a mess. I would love to know how to make this work!

So, what method did you use? I would be nice to know as I really don't want a messy trial. I think it would be really tough to keep it from over fizzing and making a foamy mess when I went to release the air.

Worked GREAT!

yeah, I'm calling BS on this

EVERYTHING I've ever read on doing this, 100s of posts and threads; if you add ANYTHING else before injecting the CO2 results in a huge mess.

after the first trail I figured it out

how exactly did you figure it out? please give details

or, better yet, video or it's BS

I have a screw on bottle that came with the system, it doesn't blow the beer all over because its sealed. And the SS I have i push a button for how much carb i want to put in it, I can control how much i put in it. Not saying you should go out and buy one for that sole purpose. but it was just kinda cool that on bottling day i could sample it!

You can't charge your beer to soda carbonation levels - soda has something like 3X the carbonation of beer. If you do charge beer like soda then you will always have a mess. Problem is I don't believe that SodaStream has an adjustable carbonation level, at least not one that will go low enough for beer.

Instead, follow the link I sent to you but set your CO2 regulator to 15 PSI instead of 40 PSI.

Why not?

My Soda Steam is carbs to 30 PSI, IIRC. Carb warm beer at 30 PSI for 24 hours and you're still undercarbed. 40 PSI certainly isn't outside of the realm of force carbing, especially at fermentation temperatures.

I force carb my beer at 3x serving pressure (up to 52 PSI so far) for 24 hours at serving temperature and it's always just about spot on. Be sure to bleed off the excess pressure after 24 hours.

Here, look at this force carb chart. Let's pretend it's 65F. 30 PSI indefinitely is still only 2.57 volumes of CO2. That's well within the acceptable range for many styles, and even undercarbed for many others.

Extrapolate 70F at 40 PSI. I'll wait here while you do it........ 2.77 volumes. Look at that, perfectly carbed for many styles.

So, what method did you use? I would be nice to know as I really don't want a messy trial. I think it would be really tough to keep it from over fizzing and making a foamy mess when I went to release the air.

I know there's like 10 Soda Steam models, but I have the basic $80 one they sell at Staples and whatnot. You tilt the adapter out, screw on the bottle, then carb, tilt the adapter back out (bleeds off all pressure), then unscrew.

Bleed slowly if you carbed anything other than plain, cold water, or all of the CO2 will fall out of suspension and make a big mess.

yeah, I'm calling BS on this

EVERYTHING I've ever read on doing this, 100s of posts and threads; if you add ANYTHING else before injecting the CO2 results in a huge mess.

how exactly did you figure it out? please give details

or, better yet, video or it's BS

Call BS. That makes me want to go prove that this can work. Gotta find e some room temperature beer to prove it with now...

I routinely carbonate Crystal Light, Country Time Lemonade, Kool-Aid, etc. Or am I imagining this?

Just tested this.

Went 80% to the fill line on the bottle with warm Flat Tire clone. Foamed like crazy. Very easy to overcarb, at which point it just turns into a huge foam mess.

Dumped it. Pour another bottle. Refrigerated it.

Much easier to control cold. Fill only 50-60% to the fill line (1L) to be able to control the foam. If the beer turns into all CO2 bubbles for a few seconds, you're probably over carbed. Tastes like about 4 volumes to me. Be sure not to let all the pressure go at once, or it's going to go everywhere.

Take your time and it's doable. Not ideal and requires prep, but doable. In much the same way that a poor man's beer gun is doable, but not nearly as nice as a counter-pressure filler.

Final verdict: I don't like this Flat Tire clone. Saddening.

I have done this with water to make soda and was thinking about trying it with beer. I will have to try it now.

Like I said, I would not lie. It worked for me, it did make a small mess, but if you just slowly release the pressure it wont foam. If you can wait, then wait. But being so new to home brewing, I could not wait! It works, It works!

I will be bottling a batch in about two days, I will make a video and show you what I did.

I tried to make a video, but it turns out it requires at least 3 hands to do that. :( Also, I left it on the SodaStream for a few minutes waiting for the foam to clear. I went with the wait-it-out-for-less-mess approach and came back 5-10 minutes later.

Wouldn't be a very interesting segment to watch.

I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I'm in Colorado in high altitude and it makes a difference. I find the 5 pumps it takes to make regular soda sometimes come out less carbonated than I like - almost like a light carbonation you would find in RedBull.

So I'll try different things and take my time so I wont waste any precious homebrew.

:mug:

I just forced carb some beer using a homemade cap that fixes on 20oz and two litter soda bottles. I only carbed about 8oz. It was what was leftover after bottling. It worked great but it did expand. It would "explode" if you don't let the gas out slowly. I see no problem with this method just make sure you have room in the bottle for the beer to expand after carbing.

It really helps to put the whole thing in the refrigerator and to leave it on the carbonator for well over an hour. You will definitely get more carbonation absorbed in colder liquid, that's basic physics (which I teach). Totally works, but requires patience.

Back