It's official, I'm having heart surgery on Feb 18th...wow, it's real now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery Revvy. Like everybody said, You will be back in no time:mug:

So do you have to buy the whole pig for the valve or can you buy just the valve?

Maybe you could sell the rest of the pig to cover the rest of the procedure? I do love me some bacon and some ham hocks for the sunday beans ;) Put me down for those if your selling the rest of this hog.

Oh and speedy recovery.

Trust your internet friends to be practical! :D

I'll keep you in my prayers. Stay strong.

Good luck with the surgery. I'm sure it must be a relief to finally find out what is going on. I'm confident that you will be back up and running in no time. My uncle had this done when I was a kid and they've only gotten MUCH better at it over the years.

I'm betting that after you are mostly healed you will be given the green light to drink moderately.

Good luck Revvy, my uncle is under the knife as I type this. Cleaning out his carotid artery then opening his heart to repair a valve.

Seems like everything has been working up to this point and this will be the last step for you to be on the mend. Good luck and don't let the anticipation get to you.

Best wishes to you, Revvy. The entire community will have you in their thoughts.

Revvy:

From my own experience with heart surgeons (for my daughter not me) I can tell you that these docs are amazing. I asked one once what he did with his spare time and he started telling me about this great new procedure he was researching. I had to smile as he reminded me of a home brewer who just discovered a new chiller design or recipe he wanted to try. You will be in good hands. Be well soon.

Good to hear that your problem is something that can be fixed relatively easy. Hope your procedure and recovery goes quickly and without incident. Time to start thinking about what recipes you're gonna brew when you're cleared to lift again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Revvy.

Did they tell you anything in regards to homebrew consumption post surgery?

I remember losing half a lung to cancer a year or so ago. I thought how cool it was to be able to see the wonders of modern medical science right up close and all! I'm sure you'll be fine.
Ask them if you can take the old valve home in a jar as a souvenir. I forgot to do this with my lung, 20/20 hindsight and all.

Keep us posted on your progress after surgery...and do what the doctors tell you to do! Good luck, Revvy!:rockin:

glenn514:mug:

Best wishes & prayers headed your way.

P.S. Does anyone else see a signature here?

I got into and won my first and last fistfight 3 days after my surgery. I'm 6-4 and never had problems with people picking fights, but she just pissed me off.

I bet the next 2 weeks will be harder than the actual surgery. Hang in there Rev!

C'mon....this is DIY....angle grinder, pipe clamps, wireless actuated ball valve...done ;)

Seriously best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery Revvy!

I've got a friend going under the knife on the 7th. I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Cool, seriously, cool that they figured it out and it's something they can deal with! We'll keep the seat warm while you're away. You could also cover that beer with your coaster so that nobody swipes it, but, knowing this HBT crowd, I can't guarantee anything.

Revvy, my father and my father in law have both been through open heart surgery, you will be fine! My prayers will be with you through your ordeal. Rest assured that while you are decommissioned I will do my best to spread the Revvy-isms to the noobs :D

Oh, if you do get the rest of the pig, I would like the pork shoulders if nobody has dibs on them yet.

I have not been here to long, but homebrewtalk has always been synonymous with Revvy in my book.

Wish you all the best!

My Deepest Regards.
Albert...

Rev, I'll echo what I said on Facebook. I will be praying for you. You're on my calendar.

I work from home that day, so I'll chill one of my Belgians, sit down and have a nice long chat with God and ask him to watch over you. What time is your surgery?

Seems funny to say about someone I only know from this forum and a few posts on FB, but I truly have love for you, man. And that's only the half-druck talkin'.

long time lurker but only recently registered. However I've always enjoyed your posts Revvy. Pull through like a champ and come back healthy!

Best of luck Revvy, hope all goes smooth.

Sounds very similar to what my grandfather had done years ago with the pigs valve, and then a more recent surgery after several years. He is in his mid 70's and doing fine.

My mother had this exact procedure done 7 or 8 years ago. Recovery did take a while, but she's still going strong today after all these years. Good luck man.

Best wishes Revvy. It wouldn't be the same around here without your infinite patience with the newbs and vets alike (ok, who am I kidding, the vets get a much shorter leash).

Stay rested, and best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery. Sometimes we get lucky and these things are discovered randomly... other times folks drop dead. You definitely caught the good end of the coin flip, Revvy!

Back