Global Warming ruined my Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokii13

Reaction score
So i was hoping to squeeze in a doppelbock this winter without using any extra equipment. My OG was 1.088 and my FG should be 1.025ish. But we have had a very mild winter and its already starting to warm up and my fermentation is stuck at 1.033 after 3.5 weeks. I need a little advice/options. Should i just go ahead and bottle. Can I repitch with ale yeast in the secondary just to get it lower?

Thoughts? Options?

Since it has fermented most of the way, a clean ale yeast would probably help without changing the flavors much.

IMHO what your beer needs right now is a slightly longer Diacetyl Rest.
So I would bring the fermenter to a warmer temp, swirl the yeast on the bottom of the fermenter and let it finish the job.
I wouldn't worry about off-flavors since most of the job is already done, the beer you're brewing is a doppelbock which will cover any off-flavors and the beer needs a Diacetyl Rest anyways. Also, since you will bottle it, the beer will get an additional rest in bottles, which will help clear up the flavor.
BTW, I heard once (not sure if it's true) that you can avoid off-flavors due to higher temps in lagers by adding a piece of copper into the fermenter (?).

Back