Toronto, ON Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yes. My favorite is 'Ces't What' on Front Street. All Canadian microbrews, outstanding place.

Also try 'Smokeless Joe's' on Peter St I believe.

If you wind up in a more mainstream pub, see if they have 'Creemore'. It is my favorite 'session' beer of all time.

Best to go to beeradvocate.com and click on 'BeerFly' in the left-hand menu, then go to Toronto to find their top-rated pubs, brewpubs, etc. Very reliable. Great city, and the best women on earth!! (Yes, my wife is from here... ;) )

In Hamilton, The Winking Judge on Augusta usually has about 20 different microbrews on tap. There's also Chester's Beers of the World on King street, which has a huge selection of bottles, although it definitely lacks atmosphere.

The Liquor store on Centennial Pkwy (at Eastgate Square) has the best beer selection in the city. While you're in the area, I'd pick up a few cans of Devil's Pale Ale. Just look for the black can with 666 on the front. Fantastic local beer.

I enjoyed a Creemore on tap at Turtle Jack's, which is next door to the hotel. Might stay close tomorrow and go to The Winking Judge. Will definitely try the Devils' pale ale. Thanks for the info.

Breweries
I'd definitely make an effort to go to Mill St. I went on a tour a couple years ago. You had to book in advance, but that meant it was a small group, and it was led by the brewmaster. I really like their Tankhouse Ale, and they produce a lot of other good/interesting beers, some of them only available at the brewery bar.

I'm also fond of the Heritage Brewery/Scotch-Irish beers (Sgt. Major's IPA, Corporal Punishment Brown Ale.) They're brewed in the Ottawa Valley, but you can often find them in good beer bars in Toronto.

Steamwhistle make a decent Pilsner, and the building the brewery is located in is pretty cool. I wouldn't go out of my way for a visit, but it's pretty central, so if you're nearby it wouldn't hurt.

The Amsterdam Brewery near King and Bathurst (I think they moved recently, but are still near the original location) is hit and miss, though I do like their Framboise.

Bars/Brewpubs
+1 for C'est What, Smokeless Joe's and the Granite Brewery .

In addition, you might want to try Volo on Yonge St. near Wellesley. They always have a couple of hand pumps, and loads of stuff in bottles (though many of the highlights are hard to find American beers, so it might not be quite so exciting for you :) )

The Esplanade Bier Markt has a big selection, especially of Belgians, but it's crowded and often noisy, and I'd much sooner go to Smokeless Joe's or C'est What. They do make very good mussels there though. And if you're looking for a big night out with good beer, but also with dancing and a party crowd, it might be just what you're after.

The Cloak and Dagger is a really cozy place on College just west of Spadina. It has a great beer selection (10 or 15 taps with Canadian craft beers) and a wonderful atmosphere.

An old favourite of mine is the Bow and Arrow at Yonge and Davisville. A good (though not great) selection of Canadian craft brews, and some of the best pub food anywhere.

These places are all in Toronto proper. Afraid I can't offer too much info on Hamilton, but hopefully these help :)

Went to Winking Judges in Hamilton tonight after work. What a GREAT time, beer selection was limited due to a huge blowout weekend, but the locals in there, tonight and every night, were VERY knowledgeable about beer, I truly enjoyed visiting with them and savoring some beer. They should be stocked back up tomorrow, and I will be back for the socializing. Thanks for the tip!!!!

If you like hot wings, try the suicide wings at the winking judge, they'll give you a free pint if you can finish a pound.

Not sure if they still do it, but you can sign up for an Irish coffin card, drink 13 different pints (not in one sitting!) and you get a t-shirt.

Also, their irish stew is very good. I spent a lot of time at that pub when I lived in Hamilton.

Cheers

Back