Any harm in leaving sanitizer in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not recommended, but it's probably not going to hurt much. Strong acidic or basic solutions can pit metal over time, so you're better off rinsing and drying them if they are to be stored for a while.

I leave star san in my kegs all the time. The trick is to use RO water or distilled with the star san. If you use tap water then the minerals in it will break down the stan san making it unable to sanitize any longer.

edit: But then again the longest i have let a keg sit between beers in it is like 2 months.

Ok then. It's only going to be for a few weeks. I used some One step to sanitize my beer lines by pushing it through a keg w/CO2. I'll need the keg in 1-2 weeks, so it should be good to go as well.

Mike

I leave startsan in mine between uses, no problems so far. They usually don't sit more than a month between uses.

Back