Simple Brew Timer (working version!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys are interested in a simpler multi-step timer with audio alerts, I can probably whip something up in Java.

Yes!!! A java version would be awesome!!!

I had trouble downloading that one on xp and it was a little cluttered anyway.

I do like the multiple hops and other additions sub timers...

Even though my computer is in my bedroom, I have computer speakers in the kitchen, so if there were audio tones I could still use it...

Alright, that single post has enough enthusiasm for me to start working on a simple version. Don't expect results before the end of the weekend.

Depends on how much time I decide to devote to it. I have some other more pressing projects to finish around the house/yard. I should have a workable solution in a few days, though.

It should work on ME. Here's what I have so far:

timer.jpg

The GUI components are just placeholders for now, so it looks good but does nothing. I'll work on it some more later. The to-do list is long, and SWMBO is about to kill me if I spend any more time writing code right now!

I'll probably add an option for setting the alert to either a specified length of time (i.e., the alarm will sound for 5 seconds), or forcing a user acknowledgment to cancel the alert sound. The text in each text box will flash in red letters somewhere on the app when each alert time is reached.

I might add functionality for a user-selectable alert sound in addition to a default buzzer/alarm.

WOW..I'm impressed!!!!

Will there be the ability to assign different tones for each addition/adjunct? It would be cool, in my case not to run into the bedroom to look at which section beeped...If I could choose one sound for hops, and let's say another from any other ingredients...Like malt of fruit, or whatever

I like the ring for 5 seconds feature...

Can you make it each section change color and stay that way? I was a little druck last night doing hop additions and I lost track of where I was.

Taking a lunch break from the yard work.

Please keep the feature suggestions coming...but don't be upset if I don't include them. I'm trying to keep this little guy VERY simple.

For example, I'm not going to make a section for mashing and a section for boiling. Instead, you can just open a second instance of the timer.

Different sounds for each step? Hmm...that starts complicating things... Maybe different numbers of beeps for each step. ("beep beep, pause, beep beep, pause" indicating step two).

Can you make it each section change color and stay that way? I was a little druck last night doing hop additions and I lost track of where I was.

Yes, via colors, check marks, and/or enabling/disabling components.

Can you make it email or text message me instead of beeping.:D
Maybe. If I add this feature, I'll probably force you to use a Gmail account (one that you own) as the "from" source.

I'll think about it. Remember, I'm keeping it very simple.

Please keep the feature suggestions coming...but don't be upset if I don't include them. I'm trying to keep this little guy VERY simple.

You're on the right track...simplicity is key!

Regarding custom sounds, even the ability to change the main alarm sound would be helpful. I'd hate being stuck with the nuclear plant meltdown klaxon the other program uses! It could be as simple as storing the sound as an external wav file, so the user could swap it out.

It could be as simple as storing the sound as an external wav file, so the user could swap it out.
I'm thinking of embedding a small default alarm sound (pretty sure Java allows that) and using a file chooser dialog to let the user pick a custom sound. I'm not going to store any data unless I find a way to use cookies as a means of "remembering" defaults, so you'll have to choose the custom sound again each time the app runs.

Yes, via colors, check marks, and/or enabling/disabling components.

Maybe. If I add this feature, I'll probably force you to use a Gmail account (one that you own) as the "from" source.

I'll think about it. Remember, I'm keeping it very simple.

I was just kidding but that would be sweet.

Can you make it say "time for Simcoe" "time for Amarillo"etc

Just kidding anything would be awesome..I want to thank you right now so that I won't forget afterwards while I'm playing with the new toy..

I might be able to tap into a text-to-speech website and make it say whatever's in the text box. That won't be a priority, at least in the first version(s).

EDIT:
This API is promising. I'm not going to worry about it much until I get a functional timer.

Right now it functions as a stopwatch. The alerts do nothing. If you have trouble running the .jar file (the only file included in the .zip archive), try "java -jar simpleTimer.jar" from a command line. If that doesn't work, you probably need to install a runtime environment (JRE).

It downloaded and works well as timer. I set it to 3mins total with hops at 2, 1, and 0. It did not stop at 0, but continued into negative seconds.

It works with XP sp2 for me.

I like the simplicity!

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it doesn't stop on its own yet, either.

Thanks for helping me test. I'm developing in Linux, so it's good to know that it actually does work on other platforms.

Ok, this one's sorta usable. There's no sound yet, but everything else works. You'll find that you can probably force some odd behavior by doing things like setting two alerts for the same time, using negative numbers in the time fields, or using really long descriptions, but the app is fairly functional.

I'm having trouble with Java and sound under Linux. The code runs and throws no exceptions, but no sound will play. Even pre-built Sun example apps are failing to play sounds. All other apps and plug-ins are working properly on my system, and yes, the volume is turned up! So, this version doesn't include any attempt at sound, other than including a sample audio file inside the .jar archive. I'll do some testing on a Vista machine to see if I can get sound to work.

Future improvements include:
SOUND!
Bulletproofing the GUI so you can't enter invalid data
A more elegant solution to multiple alerts at the same time
A user definable window title so that you can run multiple instances of the app and differentiate between them.

View attachment simpleTimer_v0.2.zip

I really love this idea. There shear amount of talented people on this website astounds me. Yuri, thanks for taking the time to do this. :mug:

A user definable window title is now implemented.

So...if you want to run several of these to keep track of the mash, sparge, and hops, you can rename them using the text field at the top. It should update the window title as well as the title in the task bar if you're using an OS that has one.

simpleTimer_v0_3.jpg

...and I'm spent for now. It's bedtime.

View attachment simpleTimer_v0.3.zip

Forgot to mention - there is no alert for simply reaching 0:00. You have to set an alert at 0.

Should I make a default alert at the timer expiration?

Back