yeast still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
Alright folks, so I had some WL English Ale Yeast sitting at about 70 degrees for about 6 hours. Is it still alright for me to use it? I've tucked it back safely in the fridge but wanted to make sure first before I brew tomorrow that all is well with my yeast.

Thanks for the help. I'll get a starter going. I've always just pitched it without a starter. Is the fermentation better and quicker with the help of a starter and more yeast cells? Basically, I just mix DME, water, and the yeast and let it refrig for a few days? Is that right?

Steiner said:
Thanks for the help. I'll get a starter going. I've always just pitched it without a starter. Is the fermentation better and quicker with the help of a starter and more yeast cells? Basically, I just mix DME, water, and the yeast and let it refrig for a few days? Is that right?

No, you want the starter at fermentation temps. You mix DME, Water, and its not 100% neccesary but I use a small amount of hops also. You boil it just like you're making a really small batch of beer. It is only neccesary to boil for 15 minutes max because you're not creating any flavor just wort to get the yeast started. You can just cover your starter with foil is what most reccomend, or you can use small container such as a flask or growler and get a stopper or airlock for it. you'll know when the yeast takes off just like you know with an actual batch of beer.

use foil over the top and swirl that sucker as much as you remember over 24 hours. starters help with making sure your yeast is viable, faster fermentations, no worries of stuck fermentations, etc. it's not always necessary but never a bad idea ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately, I was running short on time (no time for a starter-leaving town tomorrow) and just pitched it. The yeast was also still cold (didn't give it that much time at room temp) and it poured out with the nutrient supplement in a clump, separated. I realize my mistaken rash behavior now and I should have waited til I got back in town and made a starter or pitched some dry yeast because the yeast so far has showed me no signs of being active.

I pitched at 70 degrees. It's been about 27 hours. Do I look for bubbles in the airlock- is that how you tell? How frequent? I've previously used other fermenters without airlocks and just got one last with an airlock week, so I don't quite know how it works.

Also, since I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week, I can have someone pitch a spare package of dry yeast if needed. I know this risks contamination, but how much time should I give the yeast before claiming it unsuccessful? I used White Labs English Ale Yeast if that helps. Making a Baltic Porter recipe. Sounds pretty tasty, I'll let you all know how it turns out if all goes well.

Everything else in the brewing went well. First time using a hydrometer too and I hit the SG right on the money to the .001. I don't know how important this is, but it makes me feel like I did at least something right. Thanks again.

Lesson learned: if in doubt, make a starter. Never rush beer.

Yes, but this was a day before I planned on brewing, not just those few hours. When the time came, however, I did not let it sit out. Whatever this means, I'm still worried about the yeast.

Ah, I missed that key word, "tomorrow." Sorry 'bout that. Your yeast will be fine - 6 hours at 70 degrees won't harm a thing. It would be better with a starter, but that's almost always the case with liquid yeast.

Without a starter, you could potentially be looking at a beer that might take up to 4 days to show signs of fermentation. I'd say go on the trip and see how things are doing when you get back, or if you're really worried you could pitch some dry yeast for piece of mind.

My experience with WL English Ale: A raging dog! Go on your trip. There will be a stinking mess to clean up when you get back, but what's in the jug will have already done the job and be ready to transfer. Good Luck.......:)

Thanks for the help everyone. I left for my trip and it's all in the yeast's hands now. Just for good measure, however, how long should I give the yeast before it's too late and I'll have to pitch some dry yeast?

Ok, got an update for you all. I got back from my trip last night. Got news that the airlock was bubbling after a few days, so all was good with the yeast while I was gone.

SG was 1.063 and TG is supposed to be 1.018 and I hit 1.019, so everything seems good. It's been 8 days now and I'm going to take another measurement tomorrow. From what I've read on here, it seems like you want to have a few days of consistent measurement to make sure there is no more activity. I gave it a taste and it tasted really good. Let me know if there's anything else.

After that, I'll siphon it out and bottle. I've never siphoned before, but hopefully all goes well. Thanks for the help everyone and glad it all has turned out so far.

I have had shipments of White Labs come in warm shipping next day when they forget the cold pack. They have been fine, I just use a starter to be on the safe side. Now if they are old like the ones I found in my fridge today (6 months). It may not be good.

Back