Smoked Porter turned out great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I don't usually brag, but my first attempt at a smoked porter turned out great! I have never been this patient with any brew, but I knew this would require it. I brewed it on July 16th, Primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 3 weeks, then kegged and cold conditioned until today. I just now tried it for the first time. Man, too bad it's barely 1:30pm and I have my son to look after, otherwise I would get stoopeed on this! The only thing I would do different next time is use more smoked malt. The SWMBO thinks it's enough smoke, but I would like just a wee bit more!
:D:drunk::D

I did a home smoked porter, turned out pretty good. Keeps getting better with time. I let the beer ferment for 2 weeks, then it sat in the secondary for a month and an additional month in the bottles. I smoked some munich malt over alder wood and added it to the recipe at 10% of the grist. Turned out quite smokey, I like that but most people will probably find it too much. How much did you use for your recipe?

I think I ended up using 3lbs of Rauchmalt. That's the most I could get in there in a PM with the rest of the specialty grains (5lb mash total). I think it needs more, I suppose I could swing that by using a combo of dark/amber extracts to free up room in the mash, but I'd rather not do that... I might just have to go AG on this one! I'll post a recipe as soon as I get my system fully recovered from a recent crash (user induced).

Back