FYI, cleaning with grapefruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS

Reaction score
You can clean your copper immersion chiller with grapefruits. The acid in the juice is strong, no need for chemicals. Brass too.

Just cut into fourths and squeeze, and use the piece of grapefruit as a sponge and scrub. You only need one grapefruit.

I'm sure it works, but why not eat the grapefruit and use some diluted vinegar instead?

Good point, sounds like the vinegar is easier. Guess it was just a fyi in case the worlds vinegar supply ended and grapefruits started to take over the planet.

Starsan. I mix up 5 gallons and use it for a couple of months, prior to tossing it to make a new batch, I soak all of my copper in it over night. It comes out looking like new.

jkaylor said:
Starsan. I mix up 5 gallons and use it for a couple of months, prior to tossing it to make a new batch, I soak all of my copper in it over night. It comes out looking like new.

Yes, agreed. I actually don't boil my chiller on brew day, just soak it in five gal of starsan. Anyone else not boiling their chiller?

phosphoric acid will strip off the protective oxide layer on your copper parts and expose raw copper to the wort, which will dissolve some of it. copper compounds can be poisonous in higher doses, and there is no easy way to measure how much is in your wort. there is nothing to gain from an overnight soak in starsan, and it will eventually damage your copper chiller.

just throw it in a few minutes before the boil ends. why make it more complicated than necessary?

Back